Jethou is one of the islands making up the Bailiwick of Guernsey. It is privately leased, and not open to the public.
It is immediately south of Herm and has an area of approximately 44 acres.
It is said that in AD 709 a storm washed away the strip of land which connected the island with Herm.
On the top is a marker. It is said that in earlier times, pirates were hanged on it with chains, like nearby Crevichon.
From September 1964 until December 1971 the island was occupied by the Faed family consisting of Mr Angus Faed, his wife Susan Faed and their four children, Colin, Erik, Colette and Amanda. Mrs. Susan Faed was the 22nd tenant of Jethou.
It is flanked by two islets, Crevichon to the north and Fauconniere to the south. There is one house on the island and two cottages as well as a large garage where vehicles such as quad bikes and tractors are stored.
It is now leased by Sir Peter Ogden of IT company Computacenter.
Unlike the largely autonomous islands of Sark and Alderney within the Bailiwick, Jethou is administered entirely by the States of Guernsey, and elects members to the States of Deliberation as part of the St Peter Port South electoral district.
At the back (east) of Jethou, puffins can be seen swimming off the rocks.
They also nest there in the east clifftop (or at least they did up to 1971)
Jethou in Arts & Literature
Jethou or Crusoe Life in the Channel Islands is a novel by Ernest Richard Suffling (pen name of Harry Nilford) published by Jarrold & Sons in 1892.
The British 1957 musical Free as Air by Dorothy Reynolds & Julian Slade was set on the fictitious island of 'Terhou', which was based on Jethou.
- ↑ About Herm
- ↑ http://www.justice.gov.uk/publications/docs/ICESCR-report-part1.pdf
- ↑ http://www.gov.gg/ccm/navigation/government/general-election---23-4-2008/
- Derrick, GT, A Visit to Jethou, Trans Soc Guern, 1890
- Johnston, PK, Buildings on the Island of Jethou, RGS, Spring 1979
- Kellett-Smith, SK, Quarrying and mining on Herm and Jethou, Trans Soc Guern, 1961
- Kellett-Smith, SK, Restauld of Jethou, Trans Soc Guern, 1964
- Kellett-Smith, SK, Jethou Island (Part I), RGS, Spring 1969
- Kellett-Smith, SK, Jethou Island (Part II), RGS, Summer 1969
- Kellett-Smith, SK, Further Tenants of Herm and Jethou 1830-1860, RGS, Winter 1982
- Kellett-Smith, SK, Further Tenants of Herm and Jethou 1860-1880, RGS, Summer 1983
- Kellett-Smith, SK, Further Tenants of Herm and Jethou, 1877-1960's, RGS, Winter 1983
- King, DR, Compton Mackenzie on Herm and Jethou, Trans Soc Guern, 1982
- Le Sueur, F and McClintock, D, Flora of Herm, Jethou and its off-islets, Trans Soc Guern, 1960
- Luff, WA, The Insects of Jethou, Trans Soc Guern, 1904
- Lukis, Eric, Treasure in Jethou, RGS, Summer 1966
- Marquand, ED, The Flora of Jethou, Trans Soc Guern, 1890
- Marquand, ED, The Mosses and Hepaticae of Jethou, Trans Soc Guern, 1904
- Marr, LJ, Rowing to Jethou, RGS, Winter 1979
- Bishop, AC and Mourant, AE, The petrography of some reefs off Herm and Jethou - a memorial to Dudley Attenborough, Trans Soc Guern, 1963