Jolin family page
Jacques Jolin married Anne Le Bailly, a refugee from France, at St Helier in 1762
If you can help with information about the Jolin family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
The name is of Breton origin. It is a form of Jolland, derived from the personal name Joel. That, in turn, is believed to come from the old Breton Iudicael, meaning generous, bountiful chief. There was a 7th Century King of Brittany of this name, who abdicated and went to live in a monastery.
The first record of the name is that of Alexander Jolleen, in 1196, in the Curia Rolls of Lincolnshire.
The family was present in Jersey in the 18th and 19th centuries, having probably come from France as Huguenot refugees. There are no longer any Jolins in Jersey but branches of the family exist in England.
Histories and biographies
These wills created by members of the Jolin family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Daniel Jolin - 12 September 1876, D/Y/A/39
- Daniel Jolin of St Helier, now of St Saviour, bequeaths to the poor of St Saviour £5 - 16 October 1875, D/Y/A/38
- Elizabeth Jolin of St Helier, now of St Mary, bequeaths to the poor of St Mary, 2s 6d 15 November 1856 - D/Y/A/28
- Francis Jolin of 2, Albert Road, Bencroft Road, Mile End, Middlesex - 27 November 1876, D/Y/A/39
- Jeanne Jolin of St Helier, bequeaths to the poor of St Helier, 3s 15 May 1852 - D/Y/A/27
- Julie Jolin, St Helier, now of St Saviour - 18 September 1895, D/Y/A/54
- Lydia Jolin, wife of Laurence George Rowe, Wilton House, 18 New St Johns Road, St Helier - 24 April 1946, D/Y/A/115
- Robert Jolin of 11 Val Plaisant, St Helier - October 1948, D/Y/A/120