L’Ancienneté is on Grande Route de Sainte Marie.
Foy Arthur moved here from Plaisance after she was widowed in 1657 and it was speculated by Gerald Dupré in his history of the Dupré family (CIFHS Journal Dec 2015 p 30) that it may have been built at that time.
The house from that period is now the wing of the present house nearest the road, though it was much altered around 1830. There is a carved stone now on the inside of the roadside wall partially hidden by a shed. Dated 1659, it bears the initials of Foy and her son Nicolas Dupré, with two upside-down hearts, the earliest example of this motif.
Gerald Dupré remarked that the house might have been built for mother and son to be left to Nicolas when she died. The family of Nicolas Dupré and Esther Renouf were raised here. It belonged to the Arthur family in the 19th century (J Arthur on Godfray).
Joan Stevens  noted that the dower wing, where the datestone is located, must be the oldest part of the building. She referred to an outbuilding, now demolished, which contained six large animal bones protruding from the outside wall at regular intervals in parallel to the slope of the gable. She speculated that this was a “witches’ ladder”
Notes and references
- ↑ Old Jersey Houses Vol II, p. 92