Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Chemin des Hougues, St Mary
Type of property
Late 17th century house
Families associated with the property
- Masson: In 1941 John Frederick Masson (1889- ) and his wife Lily Jane, nee Hubert (1890- ) were living here
Historic Environment Record entry
Late 17th century house, with earlier origins, retaining historic features and character. McCormack identifies earliest build phase as medieval.
L'Ecluse means the mill pond - previously discovered were foundations of a leat running through the property, which fed water to the nearby Paper Mill (now demolished).
L’Ecluse displays Jersey’s vernacular tradition in the use of local materials and details, including an early stonework façade with unusual pattern of window openings, all chamfered with accolade lintels, and incorporating an incised cross and 1692 datestone. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
The house has roughly squared granite with pantiled roof, two storeys with attic, four bays. The facade is of the type with three windows on the ground floor, more common in Guernsey than here. They are all chamfered with accolade lintels, and to the left of the front door is a small window. Upper windows have additional stones under lintels, suggesting that they may have been heightened.
Above the accolade of the third window is an incised cross. To the left of the doorway, which is offset to the right of the second window on the first floor, is a narrow additional window with plain reveals. The front door is straight lintelled, without a chamfer, inscribed 1692 ILR MLB.
Single storey outbuildings immediately east of house.