Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
- La Caroline House - in 1891 census
Rue de la Caroline, St Peter
Type of property
Families associated with the property
- Du Val: In 1891 farmer Philippe du Val (1844- ) and his wife Mary (Marie Louise), nee Blampied (1847- ) were living here with their sons Philip (1872- ) and John (1875- ) and daughters Marie Louise (1877- ) and Lydia (1880- )
The property was owned by the du Val family into the 20th century. In 1941 John, his wife Eunice, nee Le Gros (1867- ) and his sister Marie Louise were living there. John was a farmer and also Constable of St Peter. He inherited the farm from his father Philippe. Jersey Archive holds many items of correspondence addressed to John during the Occupation in his official capacity. He was a very long-serving Constable, having taken office in 1921, and retired in 1952 at the age of 78.
The 1861 census describes the location as 'Private road'. It is likely that in common with many rural Jersey properties, it had not yet been given a name. Francis Duval was head of household, living there with his wife Jane (de la Perrelle) and children Francis John, John and Philip. Also living at the property were Francis' widowed mother Mary Le Montais, and his sisters Esther and Mary Ann.
Historic Environment Record entry
Historic farm group with mid-19th century origins, retaining proportions and historic character. The farm group as a whole contributes to the rural setting. Two-storey house, five bays, with two storey wing and single storey outbuildings