Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
La Chapelle de Ste Marguerite 
Route des Cotils
Type of property
19th century house
The property was sold for £700,000 in 2014. It was again offered for sale in 2020 for £2,450,000
Families associated with the property
- Tanner: In 1941 Christobel Grace Brunner, née Tanner (1876- ) was living here with Anne Letitia Tanner (1920- )
Historic Environment Record entry
This house, dominating the top of the hill, is an elegant example of an early 19th century house. It retains its historic proportions and some features.
Believed to be the site (or near to) of a medieval chapel dedicated to Ste Marguerite. Main house (two-storey with attic, five bays with low two-storey wing to west.
Steps up to house terminating in rendered gate piers with original cast iron balustrade at top.
Old Jersey Houses
La Chapelle only gets a passing mention in Volume One. The author raises the possibility that the house may stand on the site of an ancient chapel, because it is near to the site of the ancient chapel dedicated to Ste Marguerite, near the parish church.
- "It has been suggested that some carved fragments, now incorporated above a fireplace at Grouville Court may have been part of a benitier or a window in this chapel, and a stoup preserved in Grouville Church appears to bear the letters S and M in monogram, which might stand for Ste Marguerite".
Notes and references
- ↑ Not St Marguerite, as shown in the HER listing. The property was previously known simply as La Chapelle. The present owners seem to have accepted the speculation in Old Jersey Houses that the house stands on the site of an old chapel