Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
Clos de Bas
Rue de la Ville au Bas, St Lawrence
Type of property
16th century, or earlier, country house
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
- Le Feuvre
- Mauger: Edouard Mauger, who lived here at the start of the 19th century, was a Lieutenant of Batteries, in the Militia. Whether this aided in naming the house, is unknown. His father, grandfather and great-grandfather, almost certainly lived here. He has descendants in Australia
- PLF - Probably for Philippe or Pierre Le Feuvre, but with no date
Historic Environment Record entry
Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Two-storey, three-bay house. Round arched doorway.
Perhaps out of despair that the 20th century alterations apparently made the property unworthy of listing, the HER entry is terse in the extreme, mainly quoting a few paragraphs from Old Jersey Houses.
Old Jersey Houses
This old house has seven references in the index to Volume One, but all but one are to articles comparing features of La Citadelle with those found in other properties. For a property said to have one of the earliest dated stones on domestic buildings, the details provided are actually disappointingly brief. 
The article offers no explanation for the property's 'most intriguing name ' - now also lost with its rebranding as Clos de Bas.
The renovation work involved the removal of an ancient fireplace from the first floor bedroom, the filling in of the small window to the left of the entrance arch, the resiting of the 1590 datestone in the gable of the wing of outbuildings, and the loss of an ancient oak window.
Notes and references
- ↑ It is clear is that a very unsympathetic renovation project in the 1960s did nothing to preserve the antiquity of a unique building. By the time the concept of listing buildings was introduced in Jersey it was too late to save La Citadelle.