Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
La Cohue 
- La Cohue Caumiethe
- La Cohue Maisonette
Grande Route de St Jean
Type of property
18th century farmhouse and buildings
Sold for £1,560,000 in 2021
Families associated with the property
- Gruchy: According to Jersey Archive, the St John register records the burial of Jean Gruchy, son of Thomas, of La Cohue, in 1812, and the burial of Jean's wife Jeanne, nee Baudains, two years earlier. These burials are in our database, but we can find no record of the couple's marriage, nor of Jean's birth. There was a marriage of Jean de Gruchy and Jeanne Baudains in Trinity in 1801, but this couple were still having children in 1826. The baptism records of two of their children were wrongly entered as Gruchy.
- Douglas: Barbara Middlemost Bairstow, wife of Archibald William Douglas, was living here according to her 1955 will
- IHM ERN 1795 - not recorded in Datestone Register or elsewhere. Initials suggest Jean Hamon and Elizabeth Renouf. There is a record of a marriage for this couple in St John in 1767.
Historic Environment Record entry
Old Jersey Houses
Historic farm group. Circa 1800 rural house, with potentially earlier parts, retaining original features and character.
Good courtyard of single-storey outbuildings - a good example of a two yard farm.
Farm building to north appears to be older property. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Five-bay, two-storey house, fivee-bay wing to the east. Single storey wing to the west and single storey farm building on the north form a U-shape with the house to frame a courtyard. Single-storey outbuildings form courtyard at rear. Parallel range includes cow stables to left and cottage to right.
Notes and references
- ↑ This is the old name for a Court, although in modern French it means 'a crowd'. There would not have been a Court of any kind here during the lifetime of the building, but there are suggestions, supported by the datestone, that some elements of the property predate the main house. It is not clear whether the name relates to an earlier use of the site, or was chosen without any historical connection