Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
La Croix Farm
Rue de Brabant, Trinity
Type of property
Farm group developed in phases
- The property was sold for £926,000 in 2005 and a nominal £1,000 in 2006 and subsequently divided into separate units
Families associated with the property
- Le Sueur: Francois Le Sueur was living here, with his wife, Esther Gruchy, in 1795
- Gallichan: The property remained in the Gallichan family for at least 100 years after the datestone below was erected, in 1802, but not in the same branch. In 1901 Philip Thomas Gallichan (1849- ) and his second wife Mary, nee Gallichan (1846- ) were living here with their children Philip Le Brun Gallichan (1882- ) and Eunice (1881- )
- de Gruchy: Derek John de Gruchy (1934- ), formerly of Les Prairies, lived and farmed here after the Second World War, until his death quite recently. It remains in his family
- FLS EGC 1795 - For Francois Le Sueur and Esther Gruchy 
- PGLC ♥♥ MGLC 1802 - For Philippe and Marguerite Gallichan, who married in Grouville in 1799 
Historic Environment Record entry
Fine example of farm group, developed in several phases with a good survival of many original features. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Farmstead, including farmhouse and two yards surrounded by outbuildings. Farmhouse: two-storey, attic, five-bay, with five-bay wing returning from west end to south, single storey wing to east, yards surrounded by farm buildings to north and south.
East elevation of south range has datestone 1795, large cart arch in yard at south end of west range, flattened arch, keystone dated 1892. Granite gateway with Le Croix inscribed on piers.
The gable end to Rue Becq was daubed with a swastika in bitumen tar at the time of the German occupation.
Notes and references
- ↑ As an indication of how far apart the date on a stone can be from the marriage of the couple recorded, this stone appears to relate to the Francois Le Sueur who married Esther Gruchy in Trinity in 1762
- ↑ Although the stone would suggest that Philippe and Marguerite were living at La Croix Farm from 1802, and their first son was baptised in St Saviour in 1800, two more children, born in 1812 and 1816 were baptised in St Martin