Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
Grande Rue, St Mary
Type of property
Families associated with the property
- Arthur: The Arthur family's association with this property is confirmed by the datestones. The 1891 census shows widow Mary Arthur living with her daughter at next-door La Falaize which suggests that both these properties were owned by the Arthur family. The association with this property back to the early 18th century suggests that the Arthur family built La Falaize on their land in the mid-19th century, either as a home for a son or as a dower house.
- See the profiles of La Falaize and Falaise House for information about other families which lived in this area and may have farmed some of the Arthur land
- NAT 1708 SDP - For Nicolas Arthur and Sarah Du Pré. 
- 18 NAT BHM 32 - For Nicolas Arthur and Elizabeth (Betsy) Hamon
Historic Environment Record entry
Late 18th/early 19th century farm group with possible medieval origins, retaining historic character and features. The house and associated outbuildings form a cohesive group.
The house emulates the polite architecture of Georgian fashion but with a continuing local character. The building to the west of the throughway is shown on the Richmond Map of 1795
J McCormack Channel Island Houses believes this structure originates in the 15th century and incorporates part of a damaged carriage arch.
The house and rear stable range were added post-1795 - likely early-mid 19th century
Historic farmstead comprising a 19th century two-storey, three-bay house, with throughway and earlier two-storey, two-bay outbuilding adjoining to the west. Aligned north-south to the rear is a 19th century two-storey outbuilding. 20th century stables and barn form the north and east sides of the yard.
Notes and references
- ↑ This stone is mysterious because church records show that the only marriage of a Nicolas Arthur and Sara du Pre was in St Lawrence in 1741. Jean Arthur married another Sara du Pre in about 1722, confirmed by the baptism records of four children