La Guillaumerie Farm

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Historic Jersey buildings


La Guillaumerie, St Saviour


H20LaGuillaumerie1.jpg



Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

Property name

La Guillaumerie

Other names

  • La Guillaumerie Farm

Location

Rue de La Guillaumerie [1]

Type of property

Former farm and outbuildings

Datestones

HER refers to a datestone in the east gable but does not identify it, and it is not recorded elsewhere

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

Mid-19th century origins, circa 1834. Former farm group comprising farmhouse with ranges of converted outbuildings forming courtyard to north. Two-storey, three-bay house with side wings.

Notes and references

  1. The name of the road is variously found spelt Guillaumerie and Guilleaumerie, the second version apparently now being adopted as the postal address for properties on the road. However, the traditional spelling of the family name in the Island was Guillaume. It is believed that Mathieu Guillaume, in about 1603, originally built and lived in La Vieille Guillaumerie, on the east side of the road, although this property, having been rebuilt in the 18th century, retains few signs of antiquity, and that the road was named after this property. Other properties bearing the name, on the other side of the road, are believed to have taken their name from the road, not the family. The family name spelt Guilleaume did not appear in Jersey church records until the mid-19th century, and only on the western side of the island. Rue de la Guilleaumerie is, therefore, a spelling error which has been perpetuated since the late 20th century and is found in almanacs, the HER website and the Jersey Datestone Register
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs