Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
Rue du Crocquet, St Aubin
Type of property
High Street town house
The house sold for £760,000 in 2003 and £800,000 in 2006
Families associated with the property
- Dart: In 1901 Builder John Dart (1845- ) and his wife Mary Jane, nee Le Brocq (1844- ) were living here with their daughters Bella (1877- ) and Elsie (1884- ) and son Gerald (1885- )
- Wills: In 1941 John Charles Wills (1879- ), descendant of a Dorset family, and his wife Alice, nee Lowe (1878- ) were living here with their daughter Ellen Lowe Wills (1914- ) and John's sister Ellen Susan Wills (1886- )
- WS AH 1711 - For William Snow and his wife Anne Hamon. William was a merchant with interests in cod fishing off Newfoundland, and reputed privateer. Jersey Archive holds the testament of William Snow, merchant of St Aubin, dated 28 October 1713.
Historic Environment Record entry
A landmark building on the corner of Rue du Crocquet and lane to west. Imposing three-storey townhouse of early 18th century origins, with 19th century alterations, retaining features of architectural and historical interest. Important local associations with St Aubin's mercantile history and the Newfoundland cod trade.
Likely built as a merchant's house by the Snow family. The house is shown on the 1795 Richmond map. 19th century alterations, including the addition of the rear wing. Refurbished in late 20th and early 21st century.
Three-storey house plus attic and basement/store. Basement has small windows with granite surrounds, and vehicular entrance onto Rue du Crocquet. Above is off-centre entrance reached via double flight of granite steps with iron railings with anthemion and ferris wheel decoration. Flat cornice hood porch with two Tuscan columns (replaced in 2015 in original style).
The interior has undergone alterations and refurbishment from the late 20th century onwards. The principal historical feature of interest in the interior is an early 18th century staircase with. This rises from the first to third floors - the upper section to the attic being a 21st century addition.
The roof also has some early oak trusses and purlins which would appear original to the house. There are two granite fireplaces on the second floor, which may have been constructed during the 1980s refurbishment. It is also possible that they are of 18th century origin, although significantly altered as their shallow depth and squared off corbels indicate they have been cut back.