La Vielle Maison, St P

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

La Vieille Maison, St Peter


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through

Property name

La Vieille Maison

Other names

  • Les Augerez Cottage [1]


Rue d'Elysee, St Peter

Type of property

House with 16th century origins


No recent transactions

Families associated with the property

  • Le Couteur - The owner in 1849 was E Le Couteur
  • Le Batteux


  • ILB ♥ EHB 1808 - Inscribed on a gatepost. This stone has not been positively decoded but the only marriage which fits is that of Jean Le Batteux to Elizabeth Hubert in St Helier in 1775. Neither had any earlier connection with St Peter, however
  • 1795 - On a roadside wall

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

An early house of circa 1600 origins, with later phases, retaining historic character and features. Contributes to the rural roadside setting with the east wing. The house displays Jersey’s vernacular tradition in the use of local materials and details. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

Circa 1600 origins (possibly 15th century), with early 18th and 19th century alterations. East gable to road. Two-storey five-bay house with two storey, two-bay wing in line to the east with further, slightly higher, two-storey, three-bay building to east.

Old Jersey Houses

The facade of this house is not noteworthy, but for the front door arch. This is of the double voussoir type, the second row of stones appearing very small. They turn out not to be separate stones, but chiselled to appear so.

The house can be dated as late 16th or early 17th centuiry

Notes and references

  1. The house dates back to the late 16th or early 17th century and is older than Les Augerez Farm in front. The two have now been incorporated into one property. It has not been possible to trace 19th century occupants through census returns because there is no mention of either Augerez Farm or Cottage. It is possible that they had different names during the 19th century, or, as is the case with many rural properties in Jersey, no names at all. In 1901 farmer James Maillard and family lived at Augerez Farm and the cottage appears to have been divided into units for farm labourers and their families
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs