Le Bourdon family page
Annie Maud Bourdon
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
Bordon was the French name for a pilgrim's staff, so the name was probably first given to a pilgrim. There are, however, several other explanations for the derivation of the name, which is most common as Bourdon in the French departments bordering the English Channel, including Normandy, where it remains common today.
Anther references suggests that bordon was the name for a cross between a horse and a donkey, and that in this context it was applied to an illegitimate child.
Further, in Normandy the name is said to derive from the old French bordon for a buzzing insect, or for a musical wind instrument in the shape of a serpent which was used in churches to accompany a chant. Perhaps the name was given to someone who played the instrument, or to murmured, making a similar sound to the bordon.
The family name is on record in Jersey in various spellings from the early 14th through to the mid-16th century. The first baptism record is in St Clement, where the majority of the family lived, in 1624.
- Le Bourdon, 1381
- Bourdon 1340
- Bordon 1528
- Le Bordon
- Bordoun 1309
These wills created by members of the Le Bourdon family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Bourdon : Marie , widow of George Payn son of Thomas of St Helier 01/01/1783 Bequeaths to the poor of St Helier, £4 tournois of the order of the King - Unknown date , 31/May/1783 , D/Y/A/13/89
- Le Bourdon : Clement , ... - 26/Apr/1666 , 07/Jun/1666 , D/Y/A/1/123
- Le Bourdon : Edouard , of St Helier 25/02/1847 Bequeaths to the poor of St Helier, £5 - Unknown date , 22/Mar/1847 , D/Y/A/26/98
- Le Bourdon : Jean , ... - 16/Dec/1711 , 02/Jul/1719 , D/Y/A/5/34
- Le Bourdon : Mary , of St Helier 19/03/1864 Bequeaths to the French Wesleyan Society for Foreign Missions £10, to the poor of St Helier who are members of the French Wesleyan Society £5, to the Sunday School of the French Wesleyan Society £5 - Unknown date , 29/Feb/1872 , D/Y/A/36/51
- Le Bourdon : Sara , ... - 06/Jan/1731 , 21/Apr/1733 , D/Y/A/6/85