Le Brocq family page
William Le Brocq (1786-1871)
If you can help with information about the Le Brocq family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
Historians differ over the origins of this very common Jersey surname. The Rev George Balleine believed that it came from Brock, the badger, and that it implied that the original holder of the name was snappy and dangerous when baited.
However, St Ouen historian Frank Le Maistre considered it to have derived in Viking times from "broc" a spur of land or "bro" a receptacle made of pottery.
French sources offer a further variety of possible origins, including someone living in an area covered in spiny shrubs, someone whose teeth protruded from his mouth, or from ancient Occitan, someone living on a rocky outcrop.
The earliest Jersey mention of the surname Le Brocq is in 1299, [Assizes], when the daughter of Richard de Gruchy, in the centre of the Island, was beaten by a Le Brocq. The name was, however, mainly found in St Ouen, where Colin Le Brocq was living in 1309, [Assizes]. Another Le Brocq was serving as an archer at Mont Orgueil Castle between 1338 and 1345, whilst a second Colin Le Brocq witnessed a contract in 1496. The Jersey historian, Messervy, wrote in 1917: "From the 15th century, several branches of the family were established in St Ouen..the Le Brocqs of La Croix, those near the Church, those of Trodès, La Ville-au-Bas, La Robeline, Grantez, Léoville, etc. There were in 1548: Jean Le Brocq fils Pierre from near the Church, Jean Le Brocq fils Pierre of Le Moctier, Jean Le Brocq fils Pierre, des Camps.." There were also, in 1570, three contemporary Matthieu Le Brocqs. Messervy continues "from the 16th century, several branches of the Le Brocq family accompanied the Seigneur of St Ouen to settle in Sark....It is from Sark that a Le Brocq went to settle in Guernsey, where he founded, under the name of Brock, a family that became most influential...Other Le Brocqs from Jersey emigrated to Guernsey, also to England and..to America. For example, in 1711, Pierre Le Brocq of Newport, Rhode Island, was the son and heir of Pierre Le Brocq of St Brelade, [whilst] in 1727, George Le Brocq, fils Philippe, of Jersey, lived in Boston, New England".
Messervy continues: "Several members of the family entered the clergy: [Sire Gregoire Le Brocq, Priest, was living ca. 1540]; Sire George Le Brocq, Priest, was living ca. 1560; Maïtre François Le Brocq was Rector of St Laurence, 1580-83. In more recent times, the Revd. Philippe Le Brocq, ca. 1790, was living in Kingston. In the 19th century, the Revd. André Le Brocq, (son of Capt. André Le Brocq of St Mary), was "Chaplain..R.N." He died in 1858, returning from China to Europe".
Amongst the early Le Brocqs was Benest Le Brocq born about 1480, the father of Matthieu Le Brocq, (ca.1510-1595). The latter was Constable of St Ouen before 1552, and then from 1552-1581--, and again from 1592 to 1595. The Le Brocqs gave to the Island another four constables. These were Jean Le Brocq of La Fontaine, St Peter, 1864-1873, (having previously been one of the first batch of Deputies, elected in 1857); François Le Brocq of Homestead, St Peter, 1888-1907, (having also served as a Deputy from 1885); James Le Brocq of Les Châtaigniers, St Ouen, 1957-1961 and in recent times, Mr Robert Le Brocq was Constable of St Helier. Raymond Frank Le Brocq, whose family was from St Peter, served as a Jurat of the Royal Court from 1967, whilst Hedley John Le Brocq was a St Peter Deputy in 1907 and Norman Stuart Le Brocq was for many years a Deputy in St Helier.
Pre-1600 records for the family also exist in the neighbouring parish of St Mary. Most of the available records concerning the family are from the western parishes of St Ouen, St Mary, St Peter and even St Brelade, where the Le Brocqs of La Fosse, in Grantez, had settled as merchants in the late 16th century leaving, in one line, descendants. The name occurs in nine of the twelve parishes of the island for the most part pre-1800.
Le Brocq homes
In St Ouen two houses with Le Brocq family connections are mentioned by Joan Stevens. These are "La Robeline", where Philippe Le Brocq, son of Nicholas, lived with his wife Marie Le Brocq in 1761, and "La Coin Cottage", where Susanne Le Brocq lived with husband Jean Le Feuvre, son of Jean, son of Jean, son of Jacques in 1753. In St.Mary "La Pompe" was the home of Elizabeth Le Brocq who married Jean Arthur prior to 1860.
At least one branch of the St Ouen family moved to St Peter in the early 1700s. In St Peter parish, near the boundary with St Mary , "Les Augerez" house has a stone inscribed PLCT:MLB 1719. Presumably for Philippe Le Couteur and Marguerite Le Brocq. The land here was owned at least since 1668 by Philippe, son of Philippe, son of Clement Le Brocq.
St Peter's Rectory has a windowsill inscribed for J P and Jeanne Le Brocq in 1763. Also in this parish is a record of a pew sold to Pierre Le Brocq for ten pounds tournios in 1778 "for as long as he owned La Fontaine" house. Another Pierre presented an ornate silver kettle to the parish in 1870, and his daughter Jeanne married G W Le Feuvre of Les Niesmes. The south wall of St Peter’s Church had until recently a plaque with inscriptions to the Le Brocq family of "The Yews" dating from the mid 1600s. This is now located in the adjoining vestry.
- Le Brocq, 1668
- Le Brocque 1607
- Le Broc, 1309
- Le Brok 1528
- Le Brogue 1309
- Descendants of Pierre Le Brocq (1520)
- Descendants of Benest Le Brocq (1480)
- Descendants of Benest Le Brocq, from a different source and with greater detail
- Descendants of Edouard Le Brocq (1615)
- Descendants of Edward Le Brocq (1801)
- Descendants of Pierre Le Brocq more details added in 2018
- Descendants of Philippe Le Brocq
- Descendants of Elie Le Brocq
- Descendants of William Le Brocq
- Descendants of William Le Brocq (1651)
- Descendants of Pierre Le Brocq (1675)
Family histories and biographies
- The Le Brocq family, by Roland de Caen
- Charles Le Brocq, emigrant to Australia
- Norman Le Brocq
- Wing-Cdr Richard Le Brocq
- Jurat Sally Le Brocq and the Guiton family
- William Le Brocq
- Jean Le Brocq, philanthropist
Great War service
Emigrant to Canada
Family photograph album
Click on any image to see full-size version
Philip Laurens Le Brocq (1877-1922), son of Charles (1829-1905) and Esther Marie, nee Laurens (1842-1908). His parents moved back and forth between Jersey and Queensland, and of nine children, Philip was the only one born in Jersey; the others were all born in Queensland
- Daniel Le Brocq was a chemist at 16 King Street in the 1880s
- Daniel Le Brocq was a draper at 45a King Street in the 1890s
- Philip Le Brocq was a baker and confectioner at 33 Halkett Place in the 1890s and 1900s
- From 1886 to 1896 Philip Daniel Le BRocq ran a pharmacy at 29 Queen Street
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs