Le Coin Farm

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Historic Jersey buildings


Le Coin Farm, St Brelade


H20LeCoinFarm2.jpg



Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

600px  Letters signifying

Property name

Le Coin Farm

Other names

  • Coach House
  • Studio
  • Lodge
  • Lavender Cottage
  • Rose Cottage
  • Dower Cottage
  • Sunfield

Location

Mont du Coin, St Brelade

Type of property

Sub-divided farm

Valuations

Sold for £700,000 in 2007

Datestones

  • IRS 1730 - On a gatepost. These initials in the east of the Island would denote Roissier, probably a Jean Roissier, but being in the west, the only feasible option would be for a Jean Rose, of which, two were living in St Brelade in 1730. The Briards are believed to have bought, rather than inherited, their house and farmland, so their predecessors in title were likely to have been Roses.

Families associated with the property

  • Rose?
  • Briard: Two related Briard families were living here during the mid to late-19th century. As they were, at that time, a family of masters and mariners, this was no doubt an arrangement of convenience--a home to return to after long voyages, with companionship, in the meantime, for their wives. Presumably the farm`s actual land was let to neighbours. Pierre Briard (1769-1836) was first living here in 1796, with his wife of three years, Elizabeth Jean. Both were St Ouennais. Pierre was a Master Mariner, employed by Charles Robin in the Canadian maritime fisheries, in carrying cargoes back across the Atlantic each summer and autumn, to Europe. He was, from 1815-1830, Robin`s agent in Cap Breton Island. Peter Briard (1796-1869), their son, was another Master Mariner who lived here, in his turn, with his wife Anne Orange, whom he married in 1821. He diversified, whilst remaining a master, in leaving the Charles Robin firm and becoming in 1837 part-owner, with his in-laws Orange and Pirouet of vessels in the Pacific carrying trade. The third generation to have lived here, whilst being the second generation actually born here, included Felix Briard (1826-1874), who was the first of his immediate family to have been land-based. He was a merchant and shipowner, with Orange, and moved to Waldegrave, Beaumont. His brother Peter (1829-1906), a one-time Master Mariner, moved to 1, Westbourne Terrace, St Saviour, becoming Harbour Master in St Helier at the height of Jersey`s "golden era" of shipping. He was, for many years, a Jurat and was Lieut.-Bailiff, 1899-1906. Some years before these two brothers left Le Coin Lodge, their parents and other relatives were joined by the first Pierre`s daughter Jeanne, who had married a cousin, Philippe Briard. He also was a Master Mariner. There were therefore two households at Le Coin Lodge. The latter family, however, remained into the next generation--which consisted of three mariners, two of whom lived long enough to become masters. A daughter married Mr Gibaut of the nearby property, Vermont, which is now a residential home.
  • Chevalier: P. Chevalier was the owner in 1945

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

Farm group with loose courtyard plan - now converted to residential and sub-divided into Coach House, Studio, Lodge, Lavender Cottage, Rose Cottage and Dower Cottage. Five-bay, two-storey house with two-bay wing on either side, new two-bay brick extension on east side. Converted stables/farm building to the north.

Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs