Le Conte family page
Charles Emile Eugene Le Conte emigrated to Jersey from nearby Cherbourg
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
This name was, in most instances, a medieval nickname of occupation for an actor, one who played the part of a count or nobleman in a travelling theatre. It is also possible that it may have referred to an actual count, or more likely it was satirical, and given to someone thought to behave in an aristocratic fashion.
The derivation is from the Old French word "conte", from the Latin word "comes" meaning comrade. It is an example of that sizeable group of early European surnames that were gradually created from the habitual use of nicknames.
The first record of the name is that of Ralph le Conte. This was dated 1196, in the Pipe Rolls of Durham, during the reign of King Richard 1
The name is more common in Guernsey than Jersey, but was a late arrival, possibly with a Huguenot refugee family of the late 17th century.
The name is very common today in Normandy, either as Lecomte or Leconte, the combination of the two being among the ten most numerous surnames in the region.
There are records to show arrivals in Jersey from France in the 19th century, but no signs of the earlier families still being present then. The family tree below started in France, but it has not been possible to determine where.
- Le Conte, 1299
- Le Counte 1309
- Le Comte 1299
- Le Compte
- Le Count
Le Conte family members who served in the Great War
- Francis Alfred Le Conte (1895- ) (St S) son of George Philip and Mary Ann, Private, Labour Corps
- George Thomas Le Conte (1890- ) (St S) son of George Philip and Mary Ann, Private, Royal Jersey Garrison Battalion
These wills created by members of the Le Conte family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Le Conte : Alfred Francis , of 2, Ashley Cottages, Five Oaks, St Saviour - 17/Sep/1941 , 17/Jan/1950 , D/Y/B1/3/52
- Le Conte : Alice Julia , widow of Henry Thomas Renouf, of 1, Ashley Cottages, Five Oaks, St Saviour - 13/Mar/1951 , 4/Apr/1952 , D/Y/B1/14/2
- Le Conte : Charles Francois Auguste , husband of Cecile Marie Francoise Gargent - 1/Dec/1937 , 17/Sep/1954 , D/Y/B1/26/33
- Le Conte : George Thomas , of 41, Trinity Road, St Helier - 5/Sep/1962 , 20/Jan/1965 , D/Y/B1/83/39
- Le Conte : Jacques , 07/11/1796 Desires to be buried in St John's or St Helier's Cemetery Bequeaths to the poor of St John and St Helier, £4 of the order for each parish - , 26/Nov/1796 , D/Y/A/15/122
- Le Conte : Jacques , of Serisy, Normandy, refugee in Jersey due to religion - 2/Sep/1714 , 20/Dec/1716 , D/Y/A/4/108
- Le Conte : Jane , 2 Havelock, Beach Road, St Saviour - 15/Sep/1903 , 22/Jul/1904 , D/Y/A/63/61
- Le Conte : John Charles , of 1, Oak Cottages, Five Oaks, St Saviour - 20/Jan/1950 , 7/Jan/1958 , D/Y/B1/46/3
- Le Conte : Josephine Marie , widow of Jean Marie Le Feuvre, of Sandybrook Hospital, St Peter - 3/Mar/1965 , 3/Mar/1965 , D/Y/B1/84/46
- Le Conte : Mary Ann Jane , of 2, Ashley Cottages, Five Oaks, St Saviour - 17/Sep/1941 , 6/Feb/1951 , D/Y/B1/8/25
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs