Le Couillard family page
Capt Jean Le Couillard
If you can help with information about the Le Couillard family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
The name is derived from the old French coillart, which has three highly distinct meanings. The first is 'having large testicles', applied to an animal which has not been castrated and indicating a virile man. The second is couillon, or imbecile. The third refers to a weapon of war for throwing large stones.
The name is quite common in Normandy today as 'Couillard' and the Jersey family probably originated from there. We have only found references to 'Le Couillard' in Jersey.
The family only appears in Jersey records in the early 19th century - possibly they were migrant workers from Normandy - and there appear to have been two or three different families which established in Jersey. One certainly came from Portbail on the Normandy coast.
Pierre and Michel Thomas, at the head of two of the three trees below, came from the village of St Lo d'Urville in Normandy, but we have not been able to establish the relationship between them.
- Le Couillard
- Couillard, found in Normandy
- Couillaud, found in west France
- Descendants of Philip Le Couillard
- Descendants of Pierre Le Couillard
- Descendants of Michel Thomas Le Couillard
- Descendants of Michel Thomas Le Couillard - 2
Le Couillard family members who served in the Great War
- Francis George Le Couillard (1894- ) (St H) son of Francis Charles and Mary Ann Le Couilliard, Corporal, Australian Infantry
- George Clarence Le Couillard (Gr), Private, Royal Jersey Garrison Battalion
These wills created by members of the Le Couillard family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Le Couillard : Amelia Lydia , widow of John Anderson - 24/Sep/1947 , 26/Apr/1951 , D/Y/B1/9/42
- Le Couillard : Angeline Marie , wife of Francis Mineur, of Neuilly Farm, St Martin - 20/Apr/1945 , 30/Dec/1953 , D/Y/B1/22/18
- Le Couillard : Jean Auguste , of St Lo, d'Ourville, Dept de la Manche, France, now of Trinity Bequeaths to the poor of Trinity 2s 6d Lodged 'Au Greffe - 18/Mar/1891 , 18/Mar/1891 , D/Y/A/50/26
- Le Couillard : Philippe , of St Marin, now of Grouville : - 01/Jan/1887 , 07/May/1890 , D/Y/A/49/28
- Le Couillard : Sarah Ann , widow of Arthur Philip Le Marquand, of Newhome, St Peter - 06/Sep/1965 , 26/Jan/1967 , D/Y/B1/104/37
- Crossbow House, Trinity
Click on any image to see the full-size version
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs