Le Cuirot family page
This name first appeared in Jersey records in the mid-19th century
Marie Josephine Le Cuirot married Emile Theophile Le Cuirot in St Hlier in 1865
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origins of surname
The name, found variously in Jersey birth registrations as Cuirot and Le Cuirot, does not appear until the mid-19th century.
According to census returns, Charles Auguste Cuirot, a blacksmith born in France in 1808, came to Jersey in 1842, with his wife Julie. Their children Charles Francois and Mary were born in Grouville in 1842 and St Martin the following year, but do not appear in the parish registers, and there is no return for Charles and Julie in the 1841 census.
However, the St Helier marriage register reveals that although Charles Auguste, and his wife Julie Rosalie, nee Travers, both came from France, they were married in Jersey in 1833. It is possible, of course, that they returned to France after their marriage and were back in Jersey again by 1842, when the first of their children was born. Itinerant farm workers from Normandy and Brittany have often returned home one or more times at the end of the season before finally deciding to settle in Jersey.
Charles and Julie almost certainly came from the Manche department of Normandy, because although the name is found elsewhere in France, it is overwhelmingly a Normandy name. Because they married in Jersey it has been impossible to trace Charles' ancestry in French family history records.
- Le Cuirot
- Descendants of Charles Cuirot
- Descendants of Jacques Andre Le Cuirot
- Descendants of Frederick Le Cuirot
Le Cuirot family members who served in World War 1
- Charles Arthur Le Cuirot (1902- ) (St S), Boy 2nd class RN, HMS Impregnable
- Charles Frederick (1882- ) (St Mt) son of Jean Amedee and Mary Jane, Driver, Royal Field Artillery
- John Albert Le Cuirot (St Mt), Private, Hampshire Regiment
- John Amadee Le Cuirot (1880- ) (St Mt) son of Jean Amedee and Mary Jane
- Philip Emmanuel Le Cuirot (Gr), Gunner, ROyal Garrison Artillery
- Philip Peter Le Cuirot (1893- ) (St ), Carpenter's Crewman RN, HMS Britannia, ex-RMIJ
These wills created by members of the Le Cuirot family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Jean Le Cuirot, 11 St James Street, St Helier - 4 December 1940, D/Y/A/107
- Charles Le Cuirot, Inkerman, St Saviour - 13 February 1942, D/Y/A/109
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs