Le Dain family page
Irene Le Dain, 1911
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origin of Surname
Dain means deer in ancient French, but the name is not found in nearby Normandy, suggesting that there might be other derivations.
Some sources suggest that it is of early medieval English origin, and is from a nickname for a worthy and honourable citizen, probably an Alderman or Burgess of the town. The name is derived from the Middle English (1200 - 1500) "d(e)igne, deyn(e), dain(e)", worthy, fitting, from the Old French "digne", originally from the Latin "dignus".
However, the following tale related by Le Dain descendants, including Nicolas Jouault, suggests that Jersey's Le Dains are possibly of French origin.
Olivier Neckere-Le Mauvais-Le Dain 1430-1483 was a barber and favourite of Louis XI of France (some details of him are in Victor Hugo's novel Notre Dame). In 1457 he entered the service of the Dauphin Louis who found him on a visit to the small Flemish village. Olivier was made the head barber in 1466, and the following year he married Marguerite Herbelot, daughter of a wealthy Parisienne. Olivier had taken the French translation of his surname, Le Mauvais ('le genie malfaisant des eaux', 'le mauvais esprit'). In 1473 he was made a noble and changed his name to le Dain. From 1473-74 he received from Louis XI the posts of grenier a sel de Neufchatel-en-Bray, capitaine de Meulan and in 1479 grenier a sel de Paris, capitaine de Corbeil, gruyer de la foret de Senart, capitaine de Chinon et du chateau de Loches, gouverneur de Saint Quintin and prevot and mayor of Mantes.
Master of the King's forests was a prestigious position, being capitaine of the bridges brought in a large revenue on dues for navigating these parts of the Seine, which was the exonomic axis of the north of France. In 1477 he was Ambassador to Gent. His mission was very successful and he was promoted to chamberlain and councillor to the King. He had a large entourage of 50-plus, consisting mainly of merchants (28) and members of the clergy (15). Several of his family held prominent posts. In 1475 his brother-in-law Laurent Hervelot temporarily held the post of general controller of the aides in Normandy. Jean de Croisettes was procureur to the King; Pierre Parent, brother-in-law to Laurent, the King's secretary; Jean Gale, brother-in-law, clerk to the King. The King's last words to his son were to seek the advice of Olivier.
Olivier's lieutenant, Daniel Bart, a compatriot, carried out various evil, violent and murderous crimes in his master's name. Daniel was tried and hung at Montfaucon, where Olivier also met his fate after being tried by Parliament after the King's death. Olivier was buried at Saint Laurents les Paris. The Parisiens had the following saying:
- Un Flamand et un boulanger
- Un Hesselin et un barbier
- On mis le bon cordelier
On the death of Olivier his son fled with what valuables and money he could carry in a small boat to Jersey, where he started a hostel on the site of the present Grand Hotel.
Early names in Jersey
The Extente of 1331 records the name Dain.
- 1528 - Drouet Le Dain living in Le Douet, St Peter
- 1550 - Edouard le Dain living in St Peter (Chantry certificate)
- 1607 - John Le Dain living in Le Douet
- 1629 - Baptism of Rachel, daughter of Marguerite Le Dain in St Peter
- 1696 - Thomas and Jean Le Dain signed the Oath of Association in St Peter
- 1749 - Heritage of Jean Fallu mentions adjoining property of Thomas Le Dain
- 1781 - Birth of Philippe, son of Philippe Le Dain.
- Marie (born about 1640), wife of Jean Le Dain, is said to be the last person in the Channel Islands to be executed for sorcery
- Thomyne Le Dain (born in 1609) was hanged and strangled for witchcraft
- Le Dain, 1515
- Le Dayn, 1515
- Dain 1331
Saut Falluet farm was owned by a Philip Le Dain in the 19th century
- Descendants of Pierre Le Dain (1615)
- Descendants of Jean Le Dain and Jeanne Larbalestier (1615)
- Descendants of Edouard Le Dain, 4 generations from 1779
- Descendants of Philippe Aubin, a tree including Le Gros and Le Dain
- Descendants of Philippe Le Dain
- Descendants of Jean Le Dain Added 2016
- Descendants of Jean Le Dain - 2 New - Added 2017
Great War service
These wills created by members of the Le Dain family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Ann Le Dain, 8 Hill Street, St Helier - 5 December 1916, D/Y/A/75
- Ann Le Dain, St Brelade bequeaths to Ida Renée L'Amy a house situated in St Brelade - 3 April 1919, D/Y/A/79
- Arthur Le Dain, 13 Val Plaisant, St Helier - 10 March 1948, D/Y/A/119
- Bertie Le Dain, Corporal - 22 November 1919, D/Y/A/79
- Elizabeth Le Dain of St Mary, now of St Helier, bequeaths to the poor of St Helier, £4 of the order 24 June 1786 - D/Y/A/14
- Elizabeth Le Dain, widow of Philippe Bisson of St Peter, now of St Helier, desires to be buried in St Helier's Cemetery, bequeaths to the Independent Church in Jersey, £12 of the order 19 April 1808 - D/Y/A/17
- Jean Le Dain of St Peter, desires to be buried in St Peter's Cemetery, bequeaths to the poor of St Peter 5s - 12 June 1872, D/Y/A/36
- Jeanne Le Dain of St Helier, bequeaths to the poor of St Helier, 10 shillings sterling 7 August 1776 - D/Y/A/12
- John Le Dain, 6 Market Street, St Helier - 4 April 1941, D/Y/A/108
- John Le Dain, St Aubin, St Brelade - 3 January 1929, D/Y/A/89
- Joseph Le Dain, bequeaths to Elizabeth Mary Ann Lempriere Clos de Bechervaise and Clos de St Mary; to Mary Jane Lempriere the house and Vieux Jardin; to Lydia Jane Lempriere Petit Clos next to Vieux Jardin - 15 February 1927, D/Y/A/87
- Louise Le Dain - 1 April 1911, D/Y/A/70
- Marguerite Le Dain of St Helier, widow of Thomas Bapt, desires to be buried in St Helier's Cemetery 28 February 1837 - D/Y/A/24
- Marguerite Le Dain, daughter of Edouard and Jeanne Godfray, his wife, bequeaths to the poor of St Lawrence and St Mary, £16 of the order of the King each 2 January 1815 - D/Y/A/18
- Thomas Le Dain of St Peter, now of St Helier, bequeaths to the poor of St Helier 5s - 1 October 1898, D/Y/A/57
- Henry Le Dain was a tinsmith at 4 Broad Street in the 1880s
- A Capt Le Dain ran a School for Navigation at 15 Broad Street in the 1880s
Click on any image to see the full-size version
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs