Le Four family page
Marie Le Four and Jean Machon were married in St Martin in 1743
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This is French for 'oven', suggesting someone who either operated an oven or lived near a communal oven.
An alternative suggestion is that it is derived from the word for road fork, suggesting someone who lived where a road divided.
The name is found predominantly in Ile-et-Vilaine, the Brittany department immediately south of Jersey, and Normandy.
The name has been present in Jersey since the 14th century and church records go back to 1547, when Rogier, son of Rogier, was baptised in St Saviour. There is then a gap until 1598 when the first of seven children of Guillaume and his unknown wife was baptised in St Martin.
- du Four
- Le Four, 1381
- de Foer 1309
These wills created by members of the Le Four family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1978, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- George Le Four of St Martin, bequeaths to the poor of St Martin 10s - 24 March 1875, D/Y/A/38
- George Le Four, son of Jean, of St Martin, Vingtaine de Faldouet, prisoner of war in SarreLibre, Department of Moselle, France, Second Captain of the boat Marchand, bequeaths to the poor of Grouville, 100 francs tournois of French currency - D/Y/A/17
- George Le Four, St Martin, now of St Helier - 21 October 1895, D/Y/A/54
- John Le Four, yeoman of Sandy Reach, Gaspé - 27 May 1870, D/Y/A/35
- Louisa Le Four, St Martin, widow of Elie Falle - 17 May 1923, D/Y/A/83
- Marie Le Four, widow of Clement Hubert, of St Martin, bequeaths to the poor of the General Hospital, £16 tournois of the order of the King, to the poor of St Martin, £16 tournois of the order of the King 22 June 1799 - D/Y/A/15
- Mary Le Four née Tardiff, the Terminus Hotel, St Helier - 27 June 1903, D/Y/A/62
- Samuel Le Four of St Martin - 23 June 1883, D/Y/A/43