Le Grand family page
This family name is also found in Jersey records as Legrand
Arthur Olliver, born in Jersey in 1897, married Eva Louise Le Grand (1899-1988) the daughter of Alfred William (1845-1946) and Elizabeth Martha, nee Dumaresq (1864-1952)
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
Le Grand was a nickname derived from the word "graunt", meaning tall or perhaps large, and ultimately from the Latin grandis.
In medieval times it enjoyed much the same family status as in the modern senior or junior, and was used to distinguish between people of the same family name, but of different generations.
This a very common name in Normandy, featuring in the top 20 of the most numerous family names today.
- Catherine (1574-1650) St My m Philippe Blampied (1622- ), s of Nicolas
- Le Grand
Possibly related names
Le Grand family members who served in World War 1
- Albert Jean Auguste Le Grand (France), Soldat, French Infantry, killed
- Arthur Philip Le Grand (Canada), Private, Canadian Mounted Rifles
- Unknown Le Grand (1897- ) (Canada) son of Alfred William of Jersey, Corporal, Canadian Infantry, wounded
- John Albert Le Grand (1893- ) (Gaspe) son of Alfred William of Jersey, Staff Sergeant, Canadian Infantry
- Philip John Le Grand (St H), Private, RAMC
Alfred William Le Grand was born in Jersey in 1845, the son of John and Susanne, nee Le Seelleur. He married Susanne Dumaresq, emigrated to Canada, and had seven children with her before her death in 1886, and then, in 1888, he married Elizabeth Martha Dumaresq (1864-1952) and had nine further children
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs