Le Gros family page
Gervaise Le Gros
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origin of surname
The derivation of the name is from the French for 'large' or 'fatty'.
This family name appears in Jersey at the end of the 13th century, and in Guernsey at the beginning of the same century. The name first appears in the Assize Roll of 1309. There are two family members, Robert and Thomas, mentioned in the Jersey Chantry Certificate of 1550
Thomas le Gros and sons were involved in the building of the Hospital (after a fire), Victoria and Albert Piers, Bonne Nuit, and Creux Harbour, Sark.
- Le Gros, 1255
- Gros, 1331
- Le Groas 1299
- Le Gros Bisson is a separate family, but records for Le Gros and Le Gros Bisson have become confused in our database and they are listed together.
This name shares the antiquity common to all cognomens derived from personal accessories, and occurs very early in the annals of the Channel Islands. It frequently appears in the official Records of Guernsey of the 13th century. In 1204 John Le Gros was a Jurat of the Royal Court of that island; and in 1248 Peter Le Gros, or Grosse, appears as one of the Inquisitors appointed to declare before the Justices-Itinerant, the services, customs, and liberties, of its people.
In 1292 the name appears in Jersey, in an instrument dated on St Clement's Day, in that year. By the Extente of 1331, Guille Le Gros appears as one of the twelve sworn men called upon to declare the King's rights and dues in the parish of St John. In the latter part of the 16th century a member of the family settled in England, who is described, in a deed under his hand and seal, concerning certain property which he held at Peckham, as Peter Le Grose late of Her Majesty's Isle of Jersey.
Another of the name settled in Sark, soon after its colonization by the Seigneur of St Ouen, and was possessed of one of the forty freeholds of that island. Several of his descendants were “Juges et Capitaines de I'isle de Sere" ; one of whom, John Le Gros, was Judge there, and married Elizabeth Le Pelley of Guernsey. He left one son, who died without issue, and three daughters : Mary, wife of Philip Slowley; Elizabeth, wife of John De Jersey ; and Susan, wife of Nicholas Le Pelley; which latter subsequently purchased the Seigneurie of Sark of the descendants of James Milner, of Weston Green, Surrey, who became its possessor in 1721, by purchase of the trustees of Sir Charles Carteret.
In the churchyard of St Saviour is a cenotaph to the memory of Capt John Le Gros, RN, an officer of no mean reputation; he married a sister of Admiral D'Auvergne, Prince of Bouillon, and left an only daughter, who died unmarried.
Among the various branches of this widely diffused family is one which settled, in the beginning of the 17th century, in the parish of St Helier, in the person of Elias Le Gros, who enjoyed a small estate there, in right of his wife, Mary Dumaresq. From him descends Gervais Le Gros, of Jesus College, Cambridge, the Greffier of Jersey. (See Seafield)
Another branch has been located for several centuries in the parish of Trinity; one of whose sections is represented by John Le Gros. John Le Gros, Constable of St Lawrence, represents a third branch of the family.
As borne by Gervais Le Gros: Azure, three lions, rampant, or; a chief, argent.
Impaling: Argent, a lion, passant, gules, a mullet for difference, for Le Quesne.
Crest : A dexter arm, embowed, ppr, vested gules, holding by the blade a sword, point downwards, argent, hilted, or.
Motto : In Deo confido.
- Descendants of Pierre Le Gros
- Descendants of Pierre Le Gros and Catherine Denize
- Descendants of Philippe Aubin, a tree including Le Gros and Le Dain
- Descendants of Philippe Le Gros and Jeanne Le Bas of Trinity
- Descendants of Robin Le Gros
- Descendants of Robin Le Gros - 2 a second version of the above, lacking in detail
- Descendants of Jacques Le Gros
- Descendants of Jean Le Gros
- Descendants of Jacques Le Gros and Marie Marie
- Descendants of Raulin Le Gros
- Descendants of Pierre Le Gros - 2, St Lawrence family
- Descendants of Benest Le Gros
- Descendants of Jean Le Gros and Susanne Laurens
- Descendants of Elie Le Gros NEW
- Descendants of Jean Le Gros and Jeanne Le Cras NEW
Great War service
These pictures are of from an album of Le Gros family members who emigrated to Canada
- John Le Gros was a draper at 56 King Street in the 1840s
- Ironmonger Jean Le Gros was in business in the 1830s at 13 Queen Street, followed by his son up to the 1860s
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs