Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
Le Haguais Farm 
Rue de La Croix, St Clement
Type of property
Country house with origins around 1600
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
- Willcox: In 1941 John Thomas Amy Willcox (1897- ), his wife Sarah Alice, nee Gibson (1899- ) and their children Jane Anne (1927- ), Mary Ellen (1932- ) and Sarah Adele (1935- ), were living here, together with Adele Amy Willcox (1895- ), John Thomas Amy's sister
Despite the age of the property, no datestones have been discovered
Historic Environment Record entry
A rural house with origins and fabric dating back to circa 1600, including a rare tourelle.
The house was 'gentrified' circa 1825, with the interior joinery dating from then, but has a good survival of historic features from various phases of its history.
The house emulates Georgian fashion but with a continuing local character. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
John McCormack's Channel Island Houses notes documented references to the house dating back to the late 16th/early 17th century. The core of the house survives from this period, including the ashlar façade, ground floor stone fireplace and tourelle stair.
The rear extensions were added in the 19th century, enclosing the tourelle, with later 19th century decorative treatment to the gable bargeboards and roof cresting. The rear wings appear to have been modified slightly in the mid-20th century.
A fine circa 1600 granite fireplace is retained in a ground floor room. It has tall chamfered uprights, with moulded stops above and chamfered stops below, with projecting corbels and deep supporting stones carrying the lintel. The tourelle, rounded in the interior, has wedge shaped steps. The original stone steps and newel column (which almost certainly survive) have been overlain with wooden steps, probably in the 19th century upgrade, with wave-pattern mahogany applique added as a skirting. from circa 1825. These include: the fireplace in the ground floor back room, with fluted mouldings; the fireplace in the attic, with reeded mouldings; six-panel doors and moulded door architraves ; the ground floor doorway leading to the tourelle, has heavily moulded architrave, roundels and panelled reveals; and the first floor hall archway. There are also a number of highly unusual carved decorative door pediments and window architrave on the first floor, although the date of these is not clear.
Old Jersey Houses
Not included, despite very early origins
Notes and references
- ↑ Believed to be part of the same property, now divided into six residential units