Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Manoir du Fief es Neveux 
Clos du Fief, St Lawrence
Type of property
House with 16th century origins
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
- Le Neveu
- Denize: The name of the fief derives from the Le Neveu family of which little is known. Since the 13-14th century the small fief called le fief es Neveux at the top of Mont Felard was owned by one of the oldest families of St Lawrence, the Denize family. In 1331 A Jourdain Denize was recorded as a Jurat. King Charles II and his guests are believed to have been entertained by members of Denize family on a field known since as “King’s field” (Clos du Ray). In appreciation of the good time he had, the King granted Jourdain Denize the right to call his house a Manor and therefore relieved the house of due taxes. 
One of two branches of the family – known as Denize de Haut (due to the location of the other branch family home being positioned on a lower ground) owned the fief and the modest manor. At the end of 19th century Edouard Denize – the last male heir – died.
St Lawrence, Jersey - a Celebration of our Parish refers to the division of the Denize family into two branches, known as Denize de Haut and Denize de Bas. The former lived in the manor, the latter in a farm in Rue de Haut, which was known variously as Midbay and, before 1880, Les Peupliers, after the poplar trees planted by Philippe Denize.
- Descendants of Jacques Denize: Owners of the manor
- Descendants of Jean Denize: Descendants of owners
There is a large slate gravestone in the back garden commemorating members of the Denize, Du Bois and Poingdestre families that was moved from St Lawrence Churchyard during his lifetime.
- IDN FLCMN 1581 - For Jacques Denize and Francoise Le Cheminant
- IDN MDSC 1670 - For Jean Denize and Marie de Ste Croix
- IDN AF 1771 - For Jourdain Denize and Ann Fiott
- IDN MGB 1825 - For Jourdain Denize and Marie Gibaut
- JESDN 1932 - For John Esnouf Denize, the last member of the family to own the property, who the Datestone Register says commissioned the other four stones retrospectively 
Historic Environment Record entry
The house is believed to date from 1581. The datestone lintel above the earliest front doorway bears the date 1570 – engraved at later date.
The main house had been extended three times: in the late 18th century and in the early 19th century to the west and since 1970 to the rear. The 19th century extension has a separate entrance door with a lintel stone dated 1825 – possibly built as a dower wing. Originally the living quarters were on the first floor while the ground floor was an animal shed. The only remaining outbuilding to the south (18th century or earlier) has been heavily extended to the south. Only the north end wall with date stone remained.
Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Principal building: two-storey (with third row of windows added for grandeur but within a first floor), six bays – three of which are of the original house, two of the 18th century extension and one wide bay of 19th century extension.
Old Jersey Houses
An entry in Vol Two records four Denize datestones, suggesting that Jourdain Denize commissioned four stones in 1825. Records of the fief can be found as early as the 1331 Extente, when Jourdain Denize was the seigneur, and it remained in the family until the 20th century. When it was sold the house was said to date from 1581, but no evidence of this was found by the author at the time she wrote her first book. The second volume, in which she appears to accept the 1581 date, refers to the four datestones
Notes and references
- ↑ The name Fief es Neveux is derived from the Le Neveu family, and this is believed to be the correct spelling, although Joan Stevens uses 'neveu' and 'neveus' in Vol 1 of Old Jersey Houses.
- ↑ This is open to question because the house was probably known as Le Manoir du Fief es Neveux long before Charles II visited Jersey, as the principal house in the fief, occupied by the Seigneur
- ↑ This information contradicts the view expressed in St Lawrence, Jersey - a Celebration of our Parish that the last Denize owner was Edouard, who died at the end of the 19th century, and was the only member of the family to have served as Constable of St Lawrence
- ↑ The Jersey Datestone Register says that all four were commissioned in the 20th century by John Esnouf Denize, the last member of the family to own the property, who also added his own stone on a lintel now incorporated into the kitchen