Le Marais Cottage

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

Le Marais Cottage, St Ouen


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org


Property name

Le Marais Cottage

Other names

  • La Croute Cottage
  • La Croute [1]


Rue de La Croute

Type of property

Early 18th century cottage


No recent transactions

Families associated with the property

  • Le Flock - Francis John Le Flock (1888- ) was living here in 1941


SLM ♥ NLF 1700 - For Sara Le Maistre and Nicolas Le Feuvre [2]

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

An early, circa 1700, house retaining historic character and features. One of a relatively small number of three-bay houses surviving from this period - the façade stylistically in accord with the 1700 datestone. The stonework on the gable ends suggest the house may have been re-fronted at that time, with the house being of circa 1600 origins. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

Modern rear extension.

Old Jersey Houses

Not listed in either volume under either name. The datestone is described as being at La Croute, near Le Marais

Notes and references

  1. There is another property on the opposite side of the road, which is now known as La Croute. It is mentioned in HER but apparently not a listed building, despite being identified by McCormack as having a wing dating back to 1680, with the main house a 19th century construction
  2. If this stone has been correctly interpreted - it has no explanation in the Datestone Register, which describes the property as La Croute Cottage - it is a very rare example of the wife's name appearing on the left and the husband on the right. We have not been able to find a matching marriage record
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs