Historic Jersey buildings
A chimney at the property, clearly indicating that it once had a thatched roof. The protrusions, popularly known as 'witches' chairs', supposedly a resting place for witches in flight, were actually dripstones, to stop rain getting into the gap betwen chimney and thatch
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
Le Menage du Rocquier
Route des Côtes du Nord, Trinity
Type of property
Farm group with 14th century origins
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
- De La Rocque: 'Maison du Rocquier 1668; home of the de La Rocques 16-17th centuries, when they owned the Fief of Savalle, and named after them; Ménage du Rocquié, 1717, then in Mattingley hands': Stevens, Arthur and Stevens, Jersey Place Names, Volume 1, 459. ABSJ, IV, 61-64, on the subject of the de La Rocques, Seigneurs of Saval (sic), shows this property as having been that family`s seat since at least the early 16th century and probably in that of the 15th. It was at this time a seigneurial house. 
That it has no apparent tourelle staircase or provision for pigeon nesting, trous à pigeons, is explained by the location of the fief`s former colombier on their neighbour`s land, at Ville Machon. Former owners of this house and land included Helier de La Rocque, Jurat, 1525-1549, and Lieut-Bailiff, 1546-1549; Nicolas de la Rocque, Constable of Trinity (as had been his father), 1546-1551; Pierre de la Rocque, Procureur-General, 1564-1569, and Pierre jnr, and Elie de La Rocque, both Seigneurs of Saval, whose father, Pierre, was Viscount of Jersey, 1602-1620. The Fief de Saval passed, at the end of the 17th century, into the hands of a branch of the Dumaresq family. Le Ménage and its farmland was inherited by Esther de la Rocque ( -1676), wife of Jean Mattingley, Constable of St Clement, 1660-1664. This marriage brought the Mattingleys to Trinity, to live at the former de La Rocque property
- De La Lande
- Perchard: The 1901 census shows Charles de La Lande Perchard (1850- ) farming here. He was married to Elizabeth de Gruchy (1856- ) and their children were Elise Mary (1882- ), Charles Philip (1884- ), Alice Jane (1886- ), John (1892- ) and Mabel (1896- ). Living with the family was Elizabeth's sister Margaret (1853- )
In 1941 the next generation: Charles Philip (1884-1958), his wife Anna Mary, nee Amy (1880- ), their children Charles Gordon (1910- ), Margaret Elise (1915- ), Garnet John (1920- ) and Harold George (1924- ) and Charles' sisters Elise Mary Perchard (1881- ) and Alice Jane Perchard (1886-1951) were living here
PDLL ♥ ALB 1841 - For Philippe de la Lande and Anne Le Bas The property appears to have been inherited by Philippe's niece Jeanne/Jeanneton (1821- ), daughter of his brother Jean. She married Charles Perchard in 1848 and they were the parents of Charles de La Lande Perchard, who inherited the property
Historic Environment Record entry
This farmstead is a cohesive group of buildings which contributes to the rural setting. Each building retains its historic character and the house has details of note. This building is shown on the Richmond Map of 1795. It is thought to have origins in 14th century, the major part of the existing house dating from 1788.
Two-storey five-bay house with two-storey, two-bay wing to east. Two-storey converted outbuildings run north from east end, returning west to form U-shaped rear yard.
Front: pantile roof; stone chimneys, with dripstones, to each gable. Slate sundial. Walls coursed rubble with dressed stone quoins and long and short dressed openings. Windows 12-pane sashes.
20th century conservatory at east end.
Old Jersey Houses
Notes and references
- ↑ In the north-east corner of Trinity, in the Vingtaine of Rozel, there are two former seigneurial houses and two manors. Other than Le Ménage, there is La Chasse, the former seigneurial house of the Fief de la Gruchetterie and no doubt of the Fief de Gruchy. Diélament Manor is situated at a distance of no more then 700 metres south of La Chasse. 300 metres east of the latter, is Les Augrès Manor, although its fief is in the south of the parish. Le Ménage may also have been the seigneurial house of a fifth fief, that of Petit [de] Rozel, with which it has long been associated. This would account for some evidence suggesting there may having possibly once been two colombiers at Ville Machon