Le Mercier family page
This is one of several surnames of French origin, not all variants of each other, which means 'merchant'
Emily Le Mercier, nee Jegou, and Florence
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This surname is synonymous with Le Marchand, Le Marquand and other similar island names, although not considered a variant because the Le Mercier families are quite distinct. It is derived from the old French mercier for merchant.
The name first appears in the Trinity church registers at the beginning of the 18th century, when five children of Francois Le Mercier and his wife, whose name is not known, were baptised.
Although we have been able to link the majority of early baptisms to the two trees below, it is clear that there were several other Le Merciers who came to Jersey from France and married local girls during the 18th and 19th century.
The family is still present in Jersey today.
- Le Mercier
- Descendants of Francois Le Mercier
- Descendants of Alexandre Le Mercier
- Descendants of Leonard Antoine Le Mercier Added 2016
Le Mercier family members who served in World War 1
- Walter Charles Le Mercier (1882-1918) son of Pierre and Elizabeth and husband of Emily Kate, Corporal RE, killed in action
- John Albert Le Mercier (St J), Sapper RE
Two brothers, sons of Peter Charles Le Mercier, son of Peter, and Victoria Anne Ecobichon, daughter of Jules
- Peter Charles Le Mercier (1893- ) (Tr), ex-RMIJ, Private, Middlesex Regiment
- Philip Le Mercier (1894- ) (Tr), Private, Dorsetshire Regiment
- Walter Henry Le Mercier (1897- ) (St L) son of John and Annie, Ordinary Seaman RN
- William Thomas Le Mercier (St H), Private, Labour Corps
These wills created by members of the Le Mercier family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- George Le Mercier, 17 Byron Road, St Helier - 18 February 1948, D/Y/A/119
- Marie Le Mercier, widow of Louis L'Aisné 24 January 1747 - D/Y/A/7
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs