Le Tourneur family page
Although there are similar names in 13th century Jersey records, the family which is still in Jersey today is not descended from them and may only be able to trace its island orgins back to the 1870s
Henry Le Tourneur and his older brother Aimable
If you can help with information about the Le Tourneur family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This is a surname of French origin, referring to a wood turner.
It is suggested that the names Le Torner, de Tornour and Thornour, which are found in 13th century records in Jersey are variants of Le Tourneur, which still exists today, but there is no evidence of any link between them and the children of Jacques Le Tourneur and Susanne Moignard, who were baptised in St Lawrence between 1756 and 1772. The couple were married in the parish church in 1755.
There is a single earlier baptism of Marie Le Tourneur in St Ouen in 1748. She was the daughter of Louis and an unknown Grossier.
There is also a marriage record for Louis Le Tourneur and Jeanne Le Gresley in St Martin in 1750.
A five-generation tree can be traced down from Jacques and Susanne Moignard, in St Lawrence and neighbouring St John, and then St Helier. There seems to be no link between these Le Tourneurs and the family of Michel and Jeanne Hubert in St Helier in the first two decades of the 19th century.
Nor is there an obvious link between any of these Le Tourneurs, and the families in Jersey today. They may well be descended from later arrivals from France. Aimable Louis Le Tourneur and his wife Augustine Josephine Amanda DuFour, both from Portbail on the Normandy coast opposite Gorey, arrived in Jersey in the mid-1870s and raised a family in Gorey which can be traced down to the present day.
- Le Tourneur
- Le Torner, 1254
- de Tornour
- Thornour, 1225
- Descendants of Jacques Le Tourneur
- Descendants of Jean Francois Le Tourneur
- Descendants of Louis Le Tourneur
Le Tourneur family members who served in World War 1
- Aimable Pierre Le Tourneur (1887- ) Gunner, Royal Field Artillery
- Henry Peter Le Tourneur (1898-1974) husband of Blanche Mabel Goutte, Officer’s Steward RN
- John Louis Le Tourneur (1892-1972) husband of Ruby Violet Walker, ex-RMIJ, Private, Hampshire Regiment Note that our information on Private Le Tourneur's parents differs from that shown by Jersey Pals
- Leonard Alfred Le Tourneur (1895- ) Private, Labour Corps
- Walter Philip Le Tourneur (1897-1971), Officer’s Steward, RN
These wills created by members of the Le Tourneur family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Le Tourneur : Anne , of St Lawrence 12/03/1817 Desires to be buried in St Lawrence cemetery - Unknown date , 06/Aug/1825 , D/Y/A/20/45
- Le Tourneur : Edith , wife of Edward Percy Geary, of 54, Victoria Cottage Homes, St Saviour - 01/Jun/1971 , 23/Sep/1977 , D/Y/B1/266/14
- Le Tourneur : Emily , widow of John Philip Rondel, of Bechet Farm, St John - 13/Feb/1978 , 13/Feb/1978 , D/Y/B1/273/41
- Le Tourneur : Henry Peter , of St Quai, Rue de Causie, St Clement - 10/Jul/1974 , 10/Jan/1975 , D/Y/B1/216/19
- Le Tourneur : Lilian , wife of Walter de Carteret Colbeck, of Kirkstone, New Zealand Avenue, St Saviour - 08/May/1974 , 08/May/1974 , D/Y/B1/205/6
- Le Tourneur : Marguerite , of St Lawrence, now of St Helier 24/12/1856 Desires to be buried in St Lawrence Cemetery Bequeaths to the poor of St Lawrence, 5s - Unknown date , 16/Jul/1858 , D/Y/A/29/90
- Le Tourneur : Marie Anne , of Beuseville [Beuzeville], Departement de la Manche, France, now of Jersey - 15/Apr/1829 , 22/Oct/1834 , D/Y/A/23/32
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs