Le Vaillant family page
This name has been present in Jersey since the 17th century
L Le Vaillant was a Caesareans defender in the 1900s
If you can help with information about the Le Vaillant family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This name, which is common throughout France, is derived from the personal name Vaillant, meaning 'valiant' and 'strong', which in turn comes from the Latin name Valentius.
The name is found in Jersey church records as early as 1653, when Jean, son of Jean, was baptised in St Peter, but it would be another 140 years before another baptism is found. Philippe, son of Marie La Gerche, and an unnamed father, was baptised in the same parish in 1797.
The line which is found in Jersey today probably started with the baptism of Ann, daughter of Philippe and Marguerite Le Sueur, in St Helier in 1828. Philippe almost certainly came from the north of Brittany, where the name is very common; possibly from the commune of Plounez in Cotes d'Armor. Another family (see tree below) came from Saint Caradec in Cotes d'Armor.
- Le Vaillant
Births and baptisms
Le Vaillant family members who served in World War 1
- Alice M Le Vaillant (St H), Queen Mary's Auxiliary Army Corps
- Henry Arthur Le Vaillant (1900- ) (St H), Officer’s Steward RN, HMS ‘’Pembroke’’
- Rene Jean Le Vaillant (St H), Driver RE
- William T Le Vaillant (1884- ) (St H) son of Philip and Jane Short, Private, Royal Irish Rifles, then Labour Corps, ex-RMIJ
These wills created by members of the Le Vaillant family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Le Vaillant : Alfred Nicholas , of Dolfre, Langley Park, St Saviour and formerly of Dolfre Guest House, 22, Dorset Street, St Helier - 14/Feb/1966 , 16/Sep/1976 , D/Y/B1/246/28
- Le Vaillant : Augustine Marie , widow of William Frank Edward Tirel, of Sandybrook Hospital, Grouville Annexe, Grouville - 31/Jul/1978 , 31/Jul/1978 , D/Y/B1/283/38
- Le Vaillant : Marie Louise , widow of Pierre Auguste Eugene Le Breuilly, formerly of Le Cygne, Bagatelle Road, St Saviour - 01/Mar/1954 , 21/Sep/1967 , D/Y/B1/111/49
- Le Vaillant : William Thomas , of 2, Stuart Houses, Charles Street, St Helier - 28/Nov/1956 , 08/Mar/1957 , D/Y/B1/40/51
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs