Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
- Les Buis Chaumiere
- Le Sellier
- Le Pressoir
Rue du Rondin
Type of property
Farm group with 15th century origins
- Les Buis sold for £810,000 in 2003
- Les Buis Chaumiere sold for £319,500 in 2004 and £640,000 in 2016
Families associated with the property
- Le Vesconte
- Arthur: In 1901 John Arthur (1849- ) and his wife Elizabeth De Lecq, nee Le Montais (1849- ) occupied part of the property
- Syvret: The main part of the house was occupied in 1901 by Edward Philip Syvret (1862- ), his wife Beatrice Ann, nee Bisson (1862-1939), and their children Edward Philip (1882–1940), Emma Beatrice (1884– ), Clarence Philip (1887–1963), George John (1888– ), Alfred John (1891– ), Mabel Florence (1892– ), Sidney Charles (1896– ), Adolphus Remy (1898–1979) and Lilian May (1899– ). The couple final daughter Cecilia Elvina was born the following year
- Williams: In 1941 John Nicolle Williams (1876- ) was living here with his wife Elsie Florence, nee Le Feuvre (1884- ) and his sister Ada (1881- )
- Le Brocq: In 1941 the cottage at Les Buis was occupied by Philip Le Brocq (1898- ) and his wife Alice Flora, nee Renouf (1898- )
Historic Environment Record entry
Historic farm group with fabric from 15th to 19th century. Each of the houses retains its historic proportions, stonework and character. The group of buildings forms a cohesive group that contributes to the roadside setting.
The buildings display Jersey’s vernacular tradition in the use of local materials and details, with later phases emulating the polite architecture of Georgian fashion but with a continuing local character.
There is evidence of the development of this historic farm group over many centuries. John McCormack in Channel Island Houses suggests that Les Buis has the older remains, circa 15th century, and Joan Stevens in Old Jersey Houses refers to the vestiges of a round arch doorway which dates Les Buis to pre-1700.
Les Buis was altered in the 18th century - a datestone on the east barn of Les Buis Chaumiere is considered to date from the mid-18th century. The associated farm outbuildings were added in the 19th century.
The property is now sub-divided into separate residences and the interiors refurbished.
Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795. Former farm group, now residential, comprising two parallel houses (Les Buis to the south and Les Buis Chaumiere to the north) each with the east gable hard on road; linked on the west by a converted outbuilding range (Le Sellier), with throughway, creating a U-shaped yard. Further west is single storey range of outbuildings and adjacent pigsties.
Le Pressoir: A single storey cottage attached to the north.
Old Jersey Houses
The meaning of the word is boxwood and there are still box hedges here.  The datestone is almost certainly for Le Vesconte, and the present owner thinks that the second name is Langlois, a family which owned the house in the 19th century. But one would have expected Langlois to be written LG by 1708, and a name like Luce is more likely. 
Several fine beech trees were felled during the Occupation, and the wood used for making clogs, when shoes became unobtainable.
Notes and references
- ↑ The St Mary baptism register shows the couple, who were married in St Helier on 22 August 1702, having six children and gives the name of the mother as Marguerite Laell. Their first child was Raulin, baptised on 19 September 1703. He became Constable of St Mary from 1759-1763. His siblings were Michel, Marguerite, another Michel, Jean and Philippe
- ↑ 1965
- ↑ Subsequent research has revealed that the stone represents Michel Le Vesconte and Marguerite Lael