Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
The property appears to have become known as Les Burins during the 20th century, but we have been unable to identify an earlier name. Census returns from 1911 backwards do not identify the property by name, but give its address merely as High Street.
Rue du Croquet, St Aubin
Type of property
Town house with sail loft, with 18th century or earlier origins. A guest house since 1964
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
Hamel: In 1941 Clarence Peter John Hamel (1898- ), his wife Gladys May, nee Battrick (1901- ) their daughters Irene (1926- ) and Marjorie Mary (1940- ) were living here with Gladys' mother Mary Jane Battrick, nee Palmer (1868- )
Historic Environment Record entry
A townhouse with associated sail loft, circa 18th century with earlier origins, part of the mercantile and shipbuilding history of St Aubin. Contributes to the historic streetscape. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
A private slipway once led to the shore before Neuve Route was built. Various dates are given for the construction of the original house: J McCormack Channel Island Houses identifies the main build phases as the 15th, 17th and 18th centuries.
Altered in the 1970s, with the addition of a top floor and rear stairwell, when used as a lodging house.
Part of a terrace of merchants' houses. There are three early pillar type fireplaces.
Old Jersey Houses
This is one of only a few St Aubin town houses to be included in either volume. The entry in Volume Two supports the view that the house could date from 1740.
- 'To the south there is a long, narrow building, believed to have been a sail loft. It is said that a private slipway ran down to the beach.
- 'The house has been altered at various times. Its simple stairs and most of the doors appear to be original. Many ceiling beams are curved and those in the attic bedrooms are merely tree trunks cut in half.'