Les Chasses 
Rue des Chasses
Type of property
18th century house with 16th century wing
Families associated with the property
Historic Environment Record entry
An early-mid 18th century Jersey house, with 16th century wing, retaining original features of historic significance and integrity as a group. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795. Main house 5 bay, 2 storey with 2 bay dower wing to the south. 16th century wing runs east west on the north side. 3 bay, 2 storey cottage (much renewed or rebuilt) on the west end. House: Front (west) elevation: Slate roof. Stone chimneys with thatch stones. Randomly coursed granite block. Dressed stone long and short quoins. Window surrounds with uprights, heightened by 2 quoins. Doorway in second bay has 20th century replica of 9-stone Jersey arch doorway. At right angles to the left is a wing of possibly 16th century origin. In the gap between it and the gable wall of the main house are external stone steps leading to a first floor doorway. The wing has glazing bar sashes mostly in long-and-short surrounds and has a 20th century extension to the west. A datestone is inscribed SLF SHB 1715. The rear wall contains a narrow slit window, originally unglazed. The east gable wall of the wing has carved footstones and 2 small attic windows. A short passage, linking the newer house to the older wing on the ground floor, is entered through a chamfered doorway with cross and acorn chamfer stops (this would originally have been an outside door). Passage is stone roofed and has a small niche with round edged sill and upright iron bar, purpose unknown. Papers found in the attic bear the date of 1717. The eastern first floor room of the wing, entered by the external steps, contains a corbelled fireplace with a hollow-chamfered stone mantel carved with 2 Celtic heads. The floor, rebuilt at a higher level during the 20th century restoration, now cuts across the fireplace. The house displays Jersey’s vernacular tradition in the use of local materials and details.
Old Jersey Houses
The entry in Volume One says that the main interest is not the house itself, probably dating from about 1750, but a far older building at right angles to it, which could date from as early as 1520.
Notes and references
- ↑ The house name La Chasse means that the house is approached along a drive or avenue. In the case of Les Chasses, it usually means that there are two such approaches, but this property just has a single access. Les Chasses is a very common house name in Jersey and there is one other major property in St John with the same name, as well as Les Chasses Cottage and Les Chasses Farm
Joan Stevens' Old Jersey Houses notes that it is
The book gives no information about any of the house's owners, but the second volume suggests that it may be as early as 1717 and that documents found in an attic suggest that it was then in the possession of Jean Le Boutillier. He may have been the Jean who married Sarah Dorey in 1713.