Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Rue de La Devise, St Ouen
Type of property
Two-storey, three bay cottage
No recent transactions
Historic Environment Record entry
Les Huriaux is of significance as a small scale farmstead with origins in the 1500s. The evidence of the fabric suggests the farmhouse has origins in the 16th century, with major extension in the 19th century. The outbuildings likely date from the early phase of the farm. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Farmstead comprising a south-facing farmhouse with cluster of small outbuildings to rear, and wellhead to front. The house is constructed of thick granite walls with substantial gable ends.
There is a nine-stone chamfered granite doorway - now square headed although remnants of curved chamfer to keystone suggests it was originally arched. Pair of stone chimneystacks with dripstones within attic. Slated roof raised (probably in 19th century).
House may have had tourelle, but now with 19th century lean-to extension at rear. 19th century extension on west gable with 20th century conservatory. To the rear of the house is a small detached outbuilding with lean-to pantile roof up against the boundary wall. The stonework suggests the outbuilding may date from the early phase of the farm. There is a reused timber acting as lintel in the doorway.
Other outbuildings survive but with modification. There is a very good example of a granite wellhead to the front of the house. There are substantial structural beams inside the house but otherwise it has been refurbished in 20th century (including rebuilding of granite fireplace in principal east room).
Old Jersey Houses