Letto family page
Henry Letto outside the family's Charing Cross jewellery and watches shop in 1917
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origins of surname
Not only do we have no direct information about the origin of this surname, we cannot say for certain whether it came from England or France. There is a possibility that it is of Breton origin and a variant of Letty, derived from letti, Breton for a small building, shelter or shed.
The first births in Jersey records were registered in St Saviour in the 1870s, but the marriage of William Letto and Marie Machon was registered in the same parish a century earlier.
Births and baptisms
Letto family members who served in World War 1
- George Henry Letto(1878-1918) son of Adolphus and Louisa Letto, husband of Mrs M E Letto, Private, Middlesex Regiment, died of wounds
- Henry Elliott Letto, (1890- ) (St H) son of Henry Phillip and Ellen , Private, RJGB, ex-RMIJ
These wills created by members of the Letto family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Ellen Letto née Hine of 2 Rockhampton Villas, First Tower - 27 January 1928, D/Y/A/88
- Anne Letto of 5 Patriotic Place, St Helier, widow of Thomas Godfray Stratford - 3 August 1893, D/Y/A/52
- Henry Letto, 3 Edward Place, St Helier - 28 September 1923, D/Y/A/83
Prominent family members
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs