Lihou family page
This family is more common in Guernsey than Jersey
Charlotte Sophia Lihou
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
The surname Lihou is derived from the island of the same name. The suffix "-hou" means island, so Lihou means "the island" in old Norman.
Lihou is very much a Guernsey family, but it made its way to Jersey in the 1830s. George, apparently born in Guernsey in 1788, married Sophia Druce in St Helier at the advanced age of 48 and fathered five children over the next nine years.
Another family had settled just before because Henriette Lihou, daughter of Thomas and Blanche Henriette Guinebaud, was baptised in St Helier in 1832.
Peter Lihou, 'from St Saviour' was married to Maria Bray in the parish in 1838.
Jersey family trees
Lihou family members who served in World War 1
- Joseph Thomas Lihou (1880-1915), son of Joseph and ELizabeth Lihou, of Guernsey, Private, RMIJ, died of heart disease in Jersey
These wills created by members of the Lihou family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Edith Lihou née Brouard, Ayleston, Brock Road, St Peter Port, Guernsey - 21 March 1941, D/Y/A/107
- Sydney Lihou, 9 Seaton Place, St Helier - 7 April 1931, D/Y/A/91
- Lihou Island - tidal island off the west coast of Guernsey
- Fief Lihou - see Fiefs of Guernsey
- Lihou Reef - located in Coral Sea off the coast of Queensland, Australia, named after Lt John Lihou, RN who discovered the reef in 1823.
- Port Lihou - port in Western Australia named after the same naval captain.
- Notre Dame du Cap Lihou at Granville, France
- Capt John Lihou, RN
- Collas Lihou, Jurat 1585