Liron family page
This family first appeared in Jersey records in the mid-19th century and is still present today
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origins of surname
The meaning of this name is uncertain. It appears to originate from the Gard region of south-west France, where there are two hamlets and a mountain bearing the name.
The name first appeared in Jersey records in the 1860s. The 1881 census return for the family of Jean, his wife Jeanne, and children Victoria, Jean, Berthe, Marguerite and Josephine, aged between one and seven, suggests that the head of household came from Brittany and his wife from Normandy.
A second household in the same census was headed by agricultural labourer Pierre, with his wife Augustine and children Pierre, John, Charles and Albert. Pierre's origin is given simply as 'France'. We have managed to trace this family to Vaudreville in Normandy (see tree below).
- Le Liron
Liron family members who served in World War 1
- Adolphe Charles Liron (1897- ) (St H) son of Jean and Jeanne Marie, Private, Hampshire Regiment
- Albert L Liron (St H), Gunner, Royal Garrison Artillery
- Charles Thomas Henry Liron, (1888- ) (St Mt) son of Pierre and Augustine, ex-RMIJ, Gunner, Royal Field Artillery
- Harry Marseille Liron (1900- ) (St H), Officer's Steward RN, HMS Victory III
- John Albert Henry Liron *1886- ) (St Mt) son of Pierre and Augustine, Private RASC
These wills created by members of the Liron family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Albert Liron, 16, Bath Street, St Helier Licensed victualler - 9 January 1945, D/Y/A/113
- Alexandre Liron, 34 Ann Street, St Helier - 27 August 1934, D/Y/A/96
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs