Low family page
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and family photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
Several origins are suggested for this surname, but we find only the follow two to be believable. It may have simply been given to a short man, from the old English lah = 'low, or short'; it may also come from another old English word hlaw, meaning hill, or burial mound, suggesting someone who lived near one of these features.
The first appearance of this surname in Jersey records was the marriage of John Low and Elizabeth Villeneuve in St Brelade in 1798. Their first child, Alexandre, was baptised the following year, and they went on to have another 12 children baptised in the parish.
The variant Lowe made a much earlier appearance with the baptism of Ella, daughter of Robert Lowe and Judith Bichard in St Ouen in 1713, but it was 99 years before the name again appeared in an island church register
No Jersey trees for Low or Lowewith more than one generation in the island found. Beware of online trees for Lowe which mix Jersey-born children into other families. The owners of these trees have been advised of their mistakes but have not corrected them
Great War service
- Charles Frederick Victor Low (St H) Private, Worcester Regiment, no Jersey records found
- Constance Low, British Red Cross, no Jersey records found
These wills created by members of the Low family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- George Low 31 August 1844 - D/Y/A/25
- James Lowe, Captain in HM Third Royal Veteran Battalion, stationed in Jersey 24 May 1817 - D/Y/A/18
- Low burial records 1867-1960: These records are taken from record books of the main undertaker in business during these years. Further undertakers' records can be found in the indexes contained in our Burial records section, as well as records for individual cemeteries. They will be added to individual family pages as time permits.
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs