Mahier family page
Jean Mahier and Marie Le Tourneur were married in St John in 1800
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origins of surname
We have no information at present about the derivation of this name, and have reservations about the suggestion that it is a variant of Mahy, or that it is of Irish origin.
We have seen suggestions that Mahy is a variant spelling of the Old Irish name O'Maithide, which originated in the Province of Connacht. The meaning of the name is said to be obscure but may be "the descendant of the perceptive one". The surname is first recorded in the early 17th Century.
Mahy and variants are found in Jersey records back to the 14th century, but Mahier does not appear until the 17th century, and although it is not found in our database until the mid-19th century, that is probably because the family was established earlier in St John, and transcriptions of the parish's church registers are incomplete.
- Mahier, 1668
- Mahy, 1340
- Mahie, 1309
- Mahye 1331
- Mahi 1309
- Descendants of Jean Mahier
- Descendants of Jean Mahier - 2, essentially the same tree, but from a different source and with more detail
Mahieu family members who served in World War 1]]
Probably father and son
- John Francis Mahieu (1879- ) (St J) son of Jean and Amelia, Private RJGB
- John Francis Mahieu (1889- ) (St P) son of John Francis and Marie, Private, Labour Corps
These wills created by members of the Mahier family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Richard Mahier 6 July 1721 - D/Y/A/5
- Philippe Mahier, Millbrook, St Lawrence - 9 December 1942, D/Y/A/110
- Mary Mahier, widow of William John Arthur - 19 May 1934, D/Y/A/96
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs