Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Maison de Haut
Rue des Champs, St Saviour
Type of property
Three storey house with 17th century origins
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
- Marett: In 1901 farmer John Alfred Marett (1861- ) and his wife Jane, nee Le Sueur (1871- ) were living here with five children born in the space of six years - John Le Sueur (1893- ), Lucy (1894- ), Ernest (1895- ), Raymond (1897- ) and Walter (1898- )
Historic Environment Record entry
A rare 3 storey house retaining original exterior features and interior features of 17th and 19th centuries and possibly earlier periods. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Main house on the east four-bay, three-storey; dower wing to the west two-bay, two-storey.
Passage off centre making rooms on west side narrower. 19th century style staircase reportedly put in when family moved in in 1915. Square based turned newel post with round top. Turned balusters. The back of the ground floor has been altered to create a small passageway. Ground floor east room has open granite fireplace, with matching chamfered uprights with chamfer stops, rounded corbels and a single piece stone lintel. Small niches in the embrasure and a niche in the wall to the south of the fireplace. One side of the uprights was found elsewhere by the owner and reinstated with advice from Joan Stevens.
Basement retains a number of original features, including a pig salter, various shelves, wide matchboard partitions and a granite fireplace at an angle on the northeast corner.