Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Maison de St Jean
Grande Route de St Jean
Type of property
Large, imposing country house with 17th century origins
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
- Sarre: The house, which has been rebuilt on several occasions over the centuries, belonged to the Sarre family in the 16th century. The Sarres were a distinguished family, holding several important public offices in the 16th and early 17th centuries. The Sarre daughters invariably married into important families and Michel, whose son followed him 30 years later as Constable of St John, had three sisters who married Constables of St Helier, St Lawrence and St Peter.
In 1540 Michel Sarre was Constable of St John and a very rich man. His widow's hasty and secret marriage, the moment he died, to Edouard de Carteret, the Bailiff's illegitimate son, was a cause celebre at the time. The son was imprisoned, but did not pay the penalty for the murder of Michel, which he was thought to have committed. The marriage took place in the ruined chapel of the Prieure de Lecq, the Prior being Philippe l'Hermite, and it must be been a very shady business. The last member of this line was Rachel Sarre, who married Thomas Lempriere of Les Augres in about 1594.
The last of the family to own Maison de St Jean was Rachel, Michel's great-granddaughter. She married Thomas Lempriere of Les Augres in about 1594. Their great-grandson Josue  Lempriere (1674-1712) the son of Thomas and Marguerite Pipon , who married Esther Le Couteur in 1693, must have been responsible for one of the many changes to the property, because it is their initials ILP ELC 1696, which are above the front door. A plaque with the three Lempriere eagles was added later.
In keeping with the best traditions of his house, Josue was Constable of St John from 1694 to 1698. His wife was the daughter of Dean Clement Le Couteur.
- Lempriere: Their descendant Josue Lempriere, who married Esther Le Couteur in 1693, had his initials put over the front door, surmounted by a plaque with the three Lempriere eagles, and ILP ELC 1696
- TLP 1626 - For Thomas Lempriere
- ILP ♥ ELC 1696 for Josue Lempriere and Esther Le Couteur
Historic Environment Record entry
This large house, with 17th and 18th century origins, is of an unusual plan form for Jersey and retains its historic character and some features. John McCormack Channel Island Houses identifies the earliest build phase as 1626 and records a resited medieval carved head from a previous house.
This house, which is shown on the Richmond Map of 1795, has been rebuilt many times through the years. The front door is recessed, with wings coming forward, rather like that at Samares Manor, but in simpler form.
The range of buildings at the back was originally farm and outbuildings, and the house was probably an old one refaced in the 18th century. The cloister connecting the two was built in 1953.
There are extensive 20th century conversions and alterations at the rear and east. The interior of the main hall retains some original features, including a large hall with a wide, shallow staircase which is unusual in Jersey houses.
Old Jersey Houses
The third storey, which is fairly recent, is a dummy, the windows lighting attics and lofts.
Notes and references
- ↑ Not Jean as stated Old Jersey Houses