Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Maison du Menage
La Rue, St Ouen
Type of property
Early 19th century house with 17th century origins
Sold for £1,345,000 in 2021
Families associated with the property
- Briard: This was the home and farm of Jean Briard (1776-1868), and Susanne Ricard, his wife. Jean was the son of Philippe, of nearby Pres_de_l'Eglise. Jean had a son, Jean junr., (b.1806), who was farming here in 1872 with his wife, Rachel Hubert
Historic Environment Record entry
Circa 1800 house,  with 17th century origins, retaining exterior historic character and features, including a good example of a traditional wellhead.
This building appears to have been refronted circa 1800, its 17th century gable ends with chimneys still surviving. What is unclear is whether their stone fireplaces still exist behind later replacements.
Main house: two-storey, five-bay with rear, north and east extensions; there is a modern conservatory and a traditional stone wellhead to south of main house.
The only original interior features now visible to record were a pair of chamfered beams in the east room, one of which appears to date to circa 1680 and the other of more regular form appears to date to the early/mid 18th century, both have morticed-in joists. A beam in the west room has a beaded edge so is probably of post 1800 date.
Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Old Jersey Houses
Not included in either volume despite suggested 17th century origins
Notes and references
- ↑ The house is 17th century