Malzard family page
Olive Malzard in 1915
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
Malzard was the name for the round pot in which cider was set among the embers. It suggests to the Rev George Balleine that the original holder of the surname may have been somewhat tubby.
However, this is a common English surname, derived from Kirkby Malzeard, a village in Yorkshire to the west of the small city of Ripon. The place name means 'The church belonging to Malzeard', a reference it is thought to a Norman-French family, probably from Mallissard, a village in Northern France, who held lands in the area in the 12th century.
There are only a handful of Malzards in France today, predominantly in Manche in Normandy, and Ile-et-Vilaine, which is the adjoining Brittany Department.
The name is found in the Assize Roll of 1309, so has been established in Jersey for at least 700 years, probably a century longer.
- Helier Malzard, born in St John about 1567, married (1590) Mathie Sarre (1567- ), daughter of Edouard and Marie Hue
- Jane Malzard was born in Jersey about 1540 and married Nicholas Durell
- Symon Malezard, baptised in St John in 1597 was the son of another Symon and Jeanne Arthur. He was Constable of St Joyn in 1525 and had a daughter Collette (1520- ) m (1540) Thomas Pinel (1515- ), s of Clement and Catherine Dorey
- Elie Malzard, born in Trinity in 1596, married Elizabeth Le Masurier
- Collette Malzard, born in St John in 1520 was the daughter of Symon, born about 1494. She married Thomas Pinel in St John in 1540
- Malzard, 1668
- Malzars 1607
- Malsars, c1510
- Maleshars 1515
- Malezars 1370
- Malesars, 1255
- Le Malesars 1309
- Malesarz (1227)
- Descendants of George Malzard
- Descendants of Pierre Malzard, a Malzard and Messervy tree
- Descendants of Pierre Malzard and Jeanne Hacquoil
- Descendants of Philip Malzard
- Descendants of Pierre Malzard - 2 NEW
There is considerable overlap between the next three trees and they should be studied together
- Descendants of Abraham Malzard
- Descendants of Michel Malzard
- Descendants of Abraham Malzard - 2 Added 2016
Great War service
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs