Origin of Surname
The name Mansell (or Maunsell) is derived from the province of La Manche in Normandy, France. In Dictionnaire de la Noblesse, Saint Allais refers to Le Maunsel as an ancient family originally from Normandy.
The Guernsey family of this name are said to have originated in Somerset. A descendent of this line, Thomas Mansell died in 1667 in Swanage, Dorset. His grandson, William Mansell was born in Weymouth, Dorset in 1641, and married Mary Chipp in St Andrews, Guernsey in 1674.
- Mansell Street, St Peter Port
- Upper Mansell Street, St Peter Port
- Contrée Mansell, St Peter Port
- Mansell Court, St Peter Port
- History of Maunsell or Mansel ... and Mansell of Guernsey - Robert George Mansell's 1903 work on the history of the family, fully digitised version