Marais family page
Lizzie Mary Palmyra Marais (1905-1974) with her parents Joseph and Elizabeth, nee Drillot
If you can help with information about the Marais family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
Marais means 'marsh', so the original holder of the name probably lived in or near marshy ground. Other derivations of the name in Jersey include Dumaresq (du Marais) and Saumarez, but the families are not connected.
Joseph Louis August Marais, born in France in 1814, moved to Jersey and established the island branch of the family.
Great War service
- Henry Peter Marais (1864- ) Mercantile Marine
- John Francis Marais (1871- ) (St Mt) son of Jean and Susanne, Private, Canada
- William Marais (1892-1917) (Gr) Able Seaman RN, killed in action at Ypres
- Ernest Edmund Marais (1886-1918) Private Dorset Regiment, killed in action, Palestine
- Joseph Alfred Marais (1873- ) (Gr) Corporal, Middlesex Regiment, wounded
- Philip Charles Marais (1883- ) (Gr) Private, Hampshire Regiment
William Marais (1892-1917) and Ernest Edmund (1886-1918), brothers who were both killed in action in the Great War