Martel family page
This family name, common throughout the Channel Islands, is mentioned from the 16th century onwards
Jean Martel, of Jersey, founder of the French brandy business
If you can help with information about the Martel family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
The surname Martel is well-established Anglo-Norman surname in the Channel Islands. It comes from the Norman French word for hammer (marteau in modern French). It is probably the closest equivalent to the English surname Smith. A Geffroi Martel was allegedly one of the knights who accompanied William the Conqueror in 1066. He is also mentioned as a sub-tenant in the Domesday Book. King Charlemagne's grandfather was one Charles Martel (abt 688 - 741), King of the Franks.
The earliest Martels references to members of the Martel family in Guernsey can be found in the 1500s. In Jersey, the surname can be found as early as 1229, when Anquetil Martel is mentioned in Lettres closes relatives aux isles de la Manche (1205-1227).
- Martel, 1229
Guernsey family trees
- Descendents of Pierre Martel (d1694) - Martel family of Castel/ St Andrews, Guernsey
Jersey family trees
Note: This is a classic example of a family which is difficult to research because there are frequently two or more men with the same name raising families at the same time in the same parish. Having cross-checked all trees with parish records we are reasonably confident in their accuracy, but researchers are advised to exercise caution and attempt to find other sources.
- Descendants of Nicolas Martel, an early tree
- Descendants of Nicolas Martel - 2 - a much extended version of the above tree showing the ancestry and descendants of the Cognac brandy house founder Jean Martel
- Descendants of Jean Martel, a different Jean Martel
- Descendants of Jean Martel - 2, an extended version of the above tree
- Descendants of Philippe Martel
- Descendants of Philippe Martel - 2, a different Philippe from the above tree
- Martel family, a history of the Jersey Martels by Roland de Caen
- Jean Martell (1694-1753) - Jersey-born founder of Martell Cognac and responsible for establishing brandy trade routes with Guernsey
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
- Firino, Roger, La Famille Martell, (Paris 1924)