Matson family page
This family first arrived in Jersey in the mid-18th century
The 1890 St Simon's Church record of the marriage of Susan Harris, formerly Matson and Thomas Henry Hewett
If you can help with information about the Matson family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
In England this name, which is on record as far back as 1608, although Mateson is found in Yorkshire poll tax returns for 1379, is said to be a variant of the baptismal name Matthew, which is ultimately derived from the Hebrew 'Matiyahu', meaning gift of God.
However, it is also a common name in Sweden, from where the Jersey family originated, and is simply said to mean 'son of Matt'.
The name first appeared in Jersey records with the baptism of Rachel Matson, daughter of Jean and Madelaine Le Feuvre, in St Brelade in 1769.
There was then a gap until the children of Peter Follet Matson and Jane Dickson appear in the St Helier register from 1828 onwards. Peter, or Pieter, is said to have been born in Sweden, and his children were born in Guernsey. The family then moved to Jersey, where Pieter's grandchildren by his two sons were born.
Great War service
Sons of Edward Follet and Sarah Jane Hurst
- [http://www.greatwarci.net/honour/jersey/database/matson-ag-solferino.htm Alfred George Matson (1894-1917), husband of Lillian Maud, nee Bree, Gunner, Royal Garrison Artillery, died of wounds.
- Henry George Matson (1891- ) (St H) Gunner, Royal Garrison Artillery
- Edward Follet Matson (St H), Private, Lancashire Fusiliers
- William Follett Matson (St H) L-Cpl, London Regiment
- Alfred Fred Matson (1895-1915) son of Edward and Jane, of Great Union Road, Rifleman, Royal Irish Rifles
- Charles William Matson (St H) Driver, Royal Field Artillery
- Charles Winter James Matson (St H), Gunner, Royal Field Artillery
- Reginald Charles Matson (St H), Private, Hampshire Regiment
These wills created by members of the Matson family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Peter Matson, 1 Vauxhall Street, St Helier - 27 November 1933, D/Y/A/95
- William Matson, St Helier - 1 March 1935, D/Y/A/97
- Winter Matson, St Helier - 13 August 1941, D/Y/A/108
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
Great War casualty Gunner Alfred George matson's grave at Solferino Farm Cemetery, Ypres, Belgium