Matthews family page
This family, found almost exclusively in St Helier records, first appeared in the island in the 1700s
Audrey Alice Edna Matthews was born in Jersey in 1907, the daughter of Frederick George (1859-1943) and May, nee Crawford (1873- ). She married Augustus Toop (1903-1991) in Dorset in 1933
If you can help with information about the Matthews family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This was a name brought back by the Crusaders, derived from Mattathiah, meaning 'gift of the Lord'. Originally it was only a personal name, but it became a surname by the mid-1200s.
This name first made an appearance in Jersey records in the middle of the 18th century.
It is remarkable that of 125 baptism and birth records from then until the end of the 19th century, 121 are found in St Helier registers.
- Descendants of William Matthews 2017
- Descendants of Joseph Matthews
- Descendants of Charles Matthews 2017
Great War service
- James Albert Charles Mathew (St H), ex-RMIJ, Sapper RE
- Charles William Matthews (1885- ) (St H) son of Charles James and Harriet Mary Jolin Le Dain, Private, RJGB
- Herbert Charles Matthews(1883- ) son of John Charles and Elizabeth Sarah Trachy, Private, RJGB
- Leon Matthews (1886- ) (St H) Private, Royal Army Veterinary Corps
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs