Mayne family page
This surname is also found in Jersey spelt Maine
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
The likely origins of this English surname lie in two French sources. The first is the department of Maine, bordering Normandy, and the second is the French word for 'hand' - main. It is probably the latter which is more likely, the surname signifying someone who had creative hands.
It is likely that the original family came to Jersey from Devon, probably not until the 19th century.
The earliest Jersey records are the baptisms in St Helier of the children of Jean Main and Elizabeth Bott in the 1820s. In the same decade a daughter of John Mayne and Rachel was also baptised.
Maine family members who served in World War 1
- Thomas Charles Maine (1892- ) (London) OV, Captain, Royal Field Artillery
- Percival Frederick Maine (1900- ) (St H) OV, Bombardier, Honourable Artillery Company
These wills created by members of the Maine family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Jane Main of First Tower, St Helier, widow of Auguste François Le Boutillier - 2 October 1899, D/Y/A/58
- Reuben Main, Valletta, Beach Road, St Saviour - 23 June 1937, D/Y/A/100
- Thomas Maine of 82, Coie Terrace, St Helier 16 July 1881 - 16 July 1881, D/Y/A/42
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs