Miller family page
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origins of surname
The original Miller was the owner or operator of a corn mill. There were undoubtedly several given this common surname independently. It is derived from the old English words mylene and milne, and ultimately from the Latin molere, meaning 'to grind'.
The name does not appear in Jersey until the mid 18th century, but you wait a long time and then along come four Millers in different families in a row. First, in 1756, was the baptism of Joseph, the son of William and Mary Purcher. This was followed the next year by the baptism of Edward, the son of Thomas and an unknown Jane, and in 1765 by Humphrey, the son of Henry and Bridget Cavendish.
Thomas and Anne Martin then had three children baptised in St Brelade in the 1770s.
Great War service
These wills created by members of the Miller family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Henry Millar, Navarino, 76 Stopford Road, St Helier - 14 July 1934, D/Y/A/96
- Maria Millar née Levens, 2 King George V Memorial Home, St Helier, widow - 23 January 1946, D/Y/A/115
- Charles Miller, Jamaica - 10 January 1947, D/Y/A/117
- Edith Miller née Wright, St Saviour – April 1947, D/Y/A/117
- George Miller, San Remo, High Street, St Aubin - 3 March 1936, D/Y/A/98
- Harriet Miller, 2 Belville, St Saviours Road, widow - 17 December 1920, D/Y/A/80
- Henry Miller, 1 Beau Rivage, Greve d'Azette, St Clement - 17 May 1935, D/Y/A/97
- Henry Miller, Mont Les Vaux, St Aubin, St Brelade - 12 April 1917, D/Y/A/76
- James Miller inflicted with a rhumatic complaint 21 February 1821 - D/Y/A/19
- Maria Miller, 2 Library Place, St Helier, widow of Henry Matthews Bartlett - 29 May 1912, D/Y/A/71
- Robert Miller, Bagatelle, St Saviour, desires to be buried in Mont à l'Abbé Cemetery - 18 June 1937, D/Y/A/100
- Thomas Miller - 6 January 1903, D/Y/A/56
- Thomas Miller of 3 St Mark's Villas, St Mark's Road, St Helier, late lieutenant colonel in the 81st Regiment - 4 January 1872, D/Y/A/36
Ernest Baudoux photograph of Mrs Miller
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs